IGNORED

brake noise...

Guest brown.john.w

Guest brown.john.w

I just purchased a 2008 RSTD and it seems that the front brakes make a noise... like they are dragging. Is this normal?

When I first got my 05 I was concerned about noise from the front brakes on very hot days and stop and go riding - Under these conditions they sounded like gravel stuck in the pads. But as soon as I could get up to normal speed and make a stop or two, they would clear right up. I checked them out several times looking for anything wrong (especially scored rotors), but never found anything. That noise seemed to go away after a couple of years, but maybe I just got used to it and quit noticing?

While creeping around Daytona this week in the heat and stop-and-go traffic, I noticed the same chatter and groaning from the front brakes on both my 07 and my brother's 07 as I had on my 05 - seems to be consistent. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

on my 07 RSV and sons RSTD - when "cold" - i can hear noise form the front brakes too. At first we thought pads were shot - sounded like metal-to-metal contact.

We've concluded it's caused by the pads and cooling holes in the rotors.

After the pads warm up a bit we don't hear the noise any longer.