IGNORED

99 royal star boulevard 26 miles to the gal.?

Chris M

Aloha from Hawaii! help!! My 99 royal star seems to run great but 26 mpg? Big air mod pipes, carbs rejetted all a couple years back. I wasn't even concerned about milage but coming to mainland for very extensive tour (everywhere) and will be pulling a trailer. have tried riding more gently (made no difference) flipping over to reserve between 90 and 100 miles ran bike and felt pipes to see if running on all 4(it is) just put in barnett friction plates and springs (clutch was slipping @ high speed) Thoughts, ideas? any help will be welcomed. Chris

Don't know for sure, but my old 96 would bounce back and forth from high 20"s to high 30"s depending on riding style. When I hit the interstate for a weekend trip the low 40"s was possible. I drove it around town almost every day so stop and go really affected the mileage.

Try Seafoam, get the floats adjusted and check the airfilter

thank you both, here in Honolulu it's almost all stop and go. when my friend did the jets a couple of years I think we may have gone to the next size larger pilot? jet and supposedly the yamaha guys synced the carbs awhile back but will follow thru on your suggestions and report back

did seafoam 3 tanks ago and just remember about a year ago had the carbs gone through and when it was done they found lots of water in the fuel. I been getting gas in the same station forever could be water in the fuel again? you'd like it would run a lot worse than it does

Chris,

I dont know what blend of fuel y'all have on the island, but if it has a lot more ethanol the mileage will be worse. I have ridden several tour Deluxes that ran great, but barely got 32 mpg. Winds can play havoc as well. The TC that you have is a detuned engine and has smaller carbs than the RSV's and '05 and newer Tour Deluxes. Unfortunately you mentioned someone else at a dealer going through the carbs, that could be a huge issues as well. If they didn't do it all right and set everything correctly or the wrong size jets, this could give issues as well.

Give it a few days here and other much more knowledgeable carb guys will chime in.