IGNORED

IT guys, need help with computer question

ediddy

Guest tx2sturgis

^^ Had you started with the most recent release of a W 7 installation you could have saved yourself PLENTY of time :happy34: And yes, this is 100% legitimate and legal. I actually just rebuilt a W 7 system (with a few year old hardware) in a matter of a few hours and only 2 or 3 update related reboots.

That would have required buying a new copy of the Windows7 Home Premium at $100!....NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I have a reputation, you know!

:moon:

That would have required buying a new copy of the Windows7 Home Premium at $100!....NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I have a reputation, you know!

:moon:

This is absolutely 100% NOT true as you already own a valid license key...

All you need is the updated image that is BASED on the same license type as what you currently own a key to (e.g. OEM/COA SLP, OEM System builder, retail or Volume) With a single very simple adjustments to whatever image you have, provided the license type is correct, you can install ANY of the 'flavors' of windows (starter, home, premium, professional, ultimate).

So, what would save you the MOST time is starting with a W7 image that already contains service pack 1.

Edited by LilBeaver
added some word emphasis and more information

Guest tx2sturgis

If the office is profitable, it seems a hardware upgrade is not only affordable, but wise, and its a tax write-off anyway.

If it were ME....I'd buy a Mac Mini Server, and either buy a couple of MacBook Airs or install Linux Ubuntu on the existing laptops and desktops.

Then you don need that IT guy....

POOF! Instant savings!

:whistling:

ediddy, please browse these pages:

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/server/

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9168678/Apple_s_Mac_Mini_server_ideal_for_the_small_office?taxonomyId=163&pageNumber=1

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
This is absolutely NOT true as you already own a valid license key...

Yes...thats why I was able to order the recovery disks. They have most of the latest patches..and automatically set up a recovery partition equal to the new condition when the laptop shipped.

$25 with shipping for the 4 disks.

:happy34:

(edit: These disks are for a fresh re-install of the original Win7 Home Premium OS on a newly installed hard drive)

Edited by tx2sturgis

If the office is profitable, it seems a hardware upgrade is not only affordable, but wise, and its a tax write-off anyway.

If it were ME....I'd buy a Mac Mini Server, and either buy a couple of MacBook Airs or install Linux Ubuntu on the existing laptops and desktops.

Then you don need that IT guy....

POOF! Instant savings!

:whistling:

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/server/

Savings, eh? :bang head::bang head:

Haha, you are a funny guy :happy34:

Yes...thats why I was able to order the recovery disks. They have most of the latest patches..and automatically set up a recovery partition equal to the new condition when the laptop shipped.

$25 with shipping for the 4 disks.

:happy34:

Careful, often times 'latest patches' refers to the latest patches available for when an iteration of the computer was shipped new -- which, for a few year old PC, may still not be as current as one would expect based on how the recovery disks are marketed.

----

Also, it appears that you posted while I was editing my post about the images adding the additional information...

Edited by LilBeaver

Guest tx2sturgis
Careful, often times 'latest patches' refers to the latest patches available for when an iteration of the computer was shipped new -- which, for a few year old PC, may still not be as current as one would expect based on how the recovery disks are marketed.

Some boring background might be in order:

Its a 2011ish Acer Notebook that I wanted to use for a specific Windows only programming package for a VHF commercial repeater. If not for that, I would not have even bothered to pull this old machine off the shelf where it sat un-used and un-updated for 18 months.

Back in 2012, I installed Linux Mint on it, (removed Win7 HD, installed blank new HD) and then had to change out the WiFi module due to a presumed failure. About that time, I ran across an exceptional deal on an HP Ultrabook, with a better screen, a SSD, and much better, lighted keyboard. I bought it and formatted right over Windows on it and have been using it ever since with Linux Ubuntu 12.04. Works like a charm.

Back to the Acer, sitting on the shelf unused now for 18 months, and the brand spanking new Kenwood VHF Repeater.

The Kenwood needs to have its programming set, and backed up, using special ($150!) Kenwood programming software that ONLY runs on Windows.

I pulled the Linux HD in the Acer, reinstalled the ORIGINAL Acer HD with Win7...fired it up and it was a little miffed about no updates for over a year so it went right to work updating. It began to download updates and after a dozen reboots and failed updates it FINALLY (the next afternoon!) told me the Updater is needing updating.

That took some digging but I finally got THAT to work and then you know most of the rest of the story from a previous post.

After I got it working, I ordered the new SSD, and recovery disks.

I installed the Kenwood software on the Acer, got it working, then removed the original hard drive, and installed the new SSD and reinstalled Win7 Home premium from the recovery pack.

NOW...I have the original backup HD, on a shelf, in more or less factory condition, archived, and a working SSD with the same exact OS installed (both with updates) and the Kenwood software ready to go.

I know one thing in all my years of messing with this stuff.

KEEP BACKUPS!

When you run the Kenwood software, with the cable plugged into the repeater, it will read all of the programming parameters FROM the repeater. This file is saved and archived for future recovery of the repeater if it is ever needed.

Then you can make changes to the settings in the software and re-program the repeater. In the case of this little laptop, its not the laptop thats really important, its the ability to configure and restore if needed, the $1500 Kenwood repeater.

SO.....

Blame it all on Kenwood!

http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs////////tkr-750-brochure.pdf

Edited by tx2sturgis

This is turned into a podium. As this subject always does.

(and not meaning to insult,, I quit reading some time back.)

If you trust your IT guy ask him for a plan B.

If you don't trust him find another,,,

or wait,,,,,,,,,

This is your business, spend your money,,, wisely.

If you don't know how to do it, you pay someone to do it.

(like me and my bike)

Here are my two cents on this topic.

If the computers will be isolated and never hit the Internet, you might get away with continuing using XP. Don't rely on a firewall to protect a computer when a human is controlling it.

If you plan on updating/upgrading anything (hardware or software), you will likely have trouble if you continue using XP.

Here is an article that explains the most common items to think about.

http://www.specopssoft.com/resources/news/running-xp-without-support-what-happens

Good luck!

Here are my two cents on this topic.

If the computers will be isolated and never hit the Internet, you might get away with continuing using XP. Don't rely on a firewall to protect a computer when a human is controlling it.

If you plan on updating/upgrading anything (hardware or software), you will likely have trouble if you continue using XP.

Here is an article that explains the most common items to think about.

http://www.specopssoft.com/resources/news/running-xp-without-support-what-happens

Good luck!

Why does Microsoft have the world by the balls?

Because of this kind of B/S, propeganda, and brainwashing. :stirthepot:

Boy, how can you tell spring is just around the corner and we are all itching to be riding more.........I think the boredom has set in and the cult of the Linux and Apple enthusiasts is trying to recruit new members to patrol the airport in sandals and togas.....:)

Brian