IGNORED

lining up at the light.

baylensman

Or sub titled the most irresponsible I've been in 20 years.

Well we were out riding over the holiday Me 07 RSV Luke 96 RSTD Joe Gold wing. Big Dick on his Trumpet little Dick (don't laff) on his 600CBR Bob and Bill both on overly noisy HD's of some vintage.

It was shortly before midnight and we were heading north out of the swamps towards the pretty lights and beachs of St Pete. There is this spot on 301 where the road goes from 2 lane to three and after 100 ft there is a stop light. I guess its a feeder for morning traffic or something. As we roll up the light goes yellow then red, o one else on the road so we take up all three lanes. Grinning like idiots we are all reving our bikes and popping the clutches for a foot or so. The Liitle Dick open the visor on his helmet and shouts " you old guys know I can take you all by third gear right?" well chin straps get tightened dew rags stuffed in pockets and various other little prep's. I open my damn stupid mouth and yell back "if we go we go, the bridge is about a half mile ahead, the first to the bridge."

well the light turned green Me Luke and Joe are out front by a lenght and never looked back, up to about 100 we were side by side at about 105 or so Luke and joe staart to pull away abit maybe half a length or we stayed that way till about 125 or so and I hit my limit the bike didn't stumble it just wouldnt go any faster Luke and Joe hit the bridge at the same time about 6 lengths in front of me. later Joe said he topped at at 130 on his speedo Luke's only goes to 120. so who knows. we dialed it down and along comes big Dick on his triumph. then Bill and Bob followed by Little Dick.

The rest of the way Home we kept exactly to the posted limit, even on the down side of the big bridge

Now I don't know who has the fastest bike I just know at that time on that road which of us had the bigger (insert your own word for round hanging down things) and held the right grip against the stop!

That's one of those; "I really should not have done that", but it sure does crank up the adrenalin and the memories. We can ride a hundred thousand miles and sometimes that 1/4 or 1/2 mile is the one we will remember forever.

What happened to the CBR600? My son and grandson had an old F2 that at one time had been a race bike and I will say, my 83 Venture is strong, but that CBR could walk away from me.

RandyA