IGNORED

Is this some sort of biker taboo?

I am getting a 84 venture that needs some cosmetic help. It *was* red, before getting baked in the sun, then the saddlebags were replaced with 1986 purple saddle bags.

I would like to simply get some black plastic paint, a glossy finish of some sort, and paint it. Ive heard it will work, I have heard it wont work, or it'll chip, or flake off. The plastic is pretty old and brittle. What has worked in the past?

Im working on a pretty small budget, so I know I cant get it back to the shiney "new" look.

Also, wheres a good place to find a replacement seat?

Thanks,

Pete

Sanding, prepping, cleaning and using a good primer-sealer are the keys to a paint job. You can get acceptable results with a rattle can. Use a handle and light coats. Overlap and don't get in a hurry. Or, remove the plastics, do all the prep work and then find a part time painter to shoot the color coat.

JB

Guest Shaggy Dog

If you want it to look good with out putting a lot into the prep work stay away from Black. It's the hardest color to make look good. Every crack ,scratch, dent, wave or imperfection will show worse with black. A good paint store can match the color that on you have on your bike now with a scanner. You might try a clear touch up on the old paint an just paint the saddlebags with the store mixed rattle can.For just a few bucks you can test a small spot on the bike to see if the clear will help.But be sure to use automotive grade paint. Also always test a small spot to make sure it won't lift the old paint.

PS I would prime the purple saddlebags before trying to cover with an other color. Just my Two cents, maybe a little more:080402gudl_prv: