IGNORED

08 Fuel Pump Relay ??

GeorgeS

So its not just ONE Relay as per the Fuel Pump, block diagram, ( simplified circuit schematic ) ??

Thanks, I'm thinking I might get a spare one of those to carry along, need to bone up on all of whats inside of that thing. Lots of wires ???

The Pump relay, control coil, gets its ground from the Ignitior unit,

Now I am wondering, what logic the Ignitor unit is useing to control the relay ?

I put meter on leads " to the Pump " turned key on, there is voltage there for about 3 seconds, then its OFF.

On the old 1st gen, the pump had voltage to it at all times,

I don't have a problem with my pump, I'm just curious as to how its being controled from the Ignitor unit, and Why, did they wire it up this way. ??

Hmmm "" I know I should just go for a ride. :whistling: :whistling:

Thanks for the help.

Pictures attached of it. Looking for a place to put it on Hybrid.

Gary

Interesting, I was also thinking about Extending the cable for this relay, and moveing it to a " More Accessible " position on the bike. Have not heard that this relay is a high failure rate item.

But , if a guy needed to change it out on the road, would be nice to have it in a more accessible position.

Was thinking about buying a spare to carry with me on long trips ???

Let me know if you find the perfect place to mount it, I'm thinking, maby under the Left side, side cover, Just Under the Fuse Box, there. But the cable to the relay would have to be " Extended about 12 inches "

George, I have not heard of these relays having a high failure rate. With that in mind, if you did lose your fuel pump relay or even the pump you could always gravity feed it by rerouting the fuel lines to finish your trip. Just a thought

George, I have not heard of these relays having a high failure rate. With that in mind, if you did lose your fuel pump relay or even the pump you could always gravity feed it by rerouting the fuel lines to finish your trip. Just a thought

My point for starting this thread, was basicly to just figure out exactly what those two extra relays, were doing, and where they were located, on the bike. Now have those answers ( thanks to all for the help )

Also, my thinking is I would like to put the Fuel Pump on a Seperate Fuse. So if pump fails and blows fuse, its easy to troubleshoot. ( I know, low failure rate ) but, Hyw 50 across Nev. is a lonely place ??? :whistling::whistling:

Then I found that Ground, comeing out of the Ignitor Unit. Hmmm that was puzzling??

Ok now have answers, I think I'm going to go with a Seperate Fuse, and maby a new SEPERATE Bosh relay also. I'm going to use the " BackUp ' fuse in the main fuse box, which on my RSTD is not being used for anything else, ( I allready rewired that fuse to only have input, when Key is On )

There are just to many conditions, that have to be met to keep this pump running. ??

I just want it powered, when the Key Is " ON "

I want it on a Seperate fuse, with its own Seperate Relay ( Both easy to get to !!! )

And, I want to get that Start Circuit Bypass Relay, moved to more Accesable position.

Guess I will have to Lengthen the cable to do that.