IGNORED

Air getting into rear brake line- fixed it

Eck

This whole summer I have been trying to find where the air is getting into my rear brake line system. I would bleed the brakes and have perfect brakes ...for about a month and then I would notice I would have to pump them to get a better brake peddle.

Last night I pumped them up and tied a bungee cord around the brake peddle and tied it off to the floor jack the bike was sitting on.. I left the bungee cord on it all night putting pressure in the system. Today, I found the leak.. I looked everywhere and could not see brake fluid. I removed the rubber cap from the lower bleeder on the rear caliper and there it was.. brake fluid.. It leaked so slow it didn't even run out of the rubber cap until I removed the cap from the bleeder.

SO I bled the rear brake system again and that little booger is now tightened up like it is supposed to be. (I have speed bleeders)

Just a reminder to make sure you tighten the bleeders up well before you think you are finished..:whistling:

I had a defective speed bleeder (installed on clutch). Could not stop leak by tightening. Had to replace it. That was my second defective speed bleeder. The first one that I had installed on the rear brake would not bleed. The check valve was stuck.

Well, I could have a defective speed bleeder. I will keep my eye on this one to see if it still leaks. I was able to turn it 1/4 turn, and that in itself may have been enough for it to leak.

If it does leak, I have a spare one..

I did notice that these speed bleeders did not have any sealant on the threads.. I put some on the threads before installing each one of them.

The first set of speed bleeders I bought (for my RSV) had sealant already applied to the threads when I opened the bag.. these did not have it....

Stock or speed bleeders don't need sealant on threads when closed as they seal on the tip, not the threads. My speed bleeders did have thread sealant but it's only there for when you crack it open as to not pull air in when the ball closes for bleeding.

Additionally, When you install speed bleeders, when you take the stock bleeder out and it did not have a rubber cap on it, most probably dirt has got in the seal area. When you install the speed bleeder, that dirt will get into the check ball and prevent it from working properly.

Make sure you have those rubber caps on those bleeders. It will save you time and trouble later on.

I have a similar problem on my 83 Venture. If my bike sits for a couple of weeks, I will have to bleed the left front as it will get air in it. There does not appear to be any leak as the reservoir does not appear to go down and there are no visible leaks. It also seems to happen if I ride the bike in the rain and then park it.

RandyA