IGNORED

How to start a new thread or topic

I often get emails from new members asking how to start a new topic. Even the terminology can be confusing for folks who have never participated in a discussion forum before. It is typically called a new "Thread" but that means new "conversation", "topic", "discussion", etc.

So...to start a new thread just choose the area that you want to post to. Examples are "Watering Hole", "General Tech Talk", etc. Click on that topic area and you will see the list of current "threads". At the upper left, just above the list of threads is a blue button that says "New Threads". Click that button and you are on your way.

Don

Under "Main Menu" click on "Forums"

Under "General Discussion" click on the topic of your choice.

Then click on "New Thread"

Be sure to include a title line.

Under "Main Menu" click on "Forums"

Under "General Discussion" click on the topic of your choice.

Then click on "New Thread"

Be sure to include a title line.

Leave it to a Teacher to re write a perfectly good explaination. :rotf:

Brad

Leave it to a Teacher to re write a perfectly good explaination. :rotf:

Brad

"PERFECTLY" good? Well, here's my story and I'm sticking to it. We've got to teach web design in some new curriculum this year and just like any good teacher I was researching my professional development activities in ventureriders.org. I was sitting beside a colleague (ok I admit she's blonde, but she teaches computer) and I said to her, "take a look at this screen", she read Freebird's instructions, then I said "pretend you are a student and based on those instructions, start a new thread". She said, "where are the topics?" and "I can't see the 'new thread' button, where do I click?" So then I went to ventureriders.org home page and said to her, "you're now a new member to this site on the home page, can you do it now"? She said, "I can see the list of some topics now, but I don't see the 'new thread' button." Then I went to the main menu and clicked on the 'forum' link, and said to her, "can you start a new thread now?" She did. Then I wrote a draft of my instructions in the second post of this thread and tried them out on her after I opened another window to ventureriders.org. She said, "that's better."

Sooo, given that Freebird is getting emails on this and figuring there might be some out there that are as blonde as my colleague, I just thought it might help to give instructions from the beginning. We aren't all as smart as some 2nd gen riders you know....there are still some of us stuck in a 1st gen world.

:)