IGNORED

Pics of luggage rack on 05/06/07 RSTD

Does anyone happen to have a picture of how the luggage rack attaches to the RSTD? I bought one without the mounting hardware (cause it was cheap), but it doesn't seem as simple as I thought to mount it. Am I SOL? Thanks for the help, you all are the best!

On a side note, sometimes being a cheap SOB doesn't really help. :no-no-no:

I have an 05 RSTD and I bought a luggage rack for the roadstar that mounts on the seat bolt and the rear lamp then I made an extra support that bolts to the saddlebag bracket. I mounted the box to that. I can remove and put the stock backrest on in about 5 mins. Sorry no pictures.

Ride safe

Bill

There are two luggage racks I know of for the RSTD. One mounts to the removable backrest. The other is a three point mount, to the bolt behind the rear seat and then on either side of the license plate bracket. I'm not sure which one you are asking about. Sorry, no pics either.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of how the luggage rack attaches to the RSTD? I bought one without the mounting hardware (cause it was cheap), but it doesn't seem as simple as I thought to mount it. Am I SOL? Thanks for the help, you all are the best!

On a side note, sometimes being a cheap SOB doesn't really help. :no-no-no:

I have the same luggage rack, the mounts consist of some cast blocks that some other brackets bolt to. They clip the sissy bar in between to make a clamp-sorta connection.

I much prefer the Road Star luggage rack that bolts to the seat bolt and licence bracket. I ran for 3000 km with it this last summer, loaded way too high and too heavy, it worked great! I had at least 80 pounds on it in cold weather, and probably over 100 pounds when it was hot and the leathers came off....I'd say it was an adequate stress test with no problems at all.

The best thing about the Roadie rack is that it sits abouit 3 inches lower on the bike, roughly perpindicular to the bottom of the passenger seat. So your entire load is lower and therefore so is the centre of gravity, Also gives you more room because you don't lose the 3 inches of empty space.

One note, the Roadie rack doesn't pop off with the sissy bar. But it still looks good with the sissy bar off, I think.

Cheers,

Bob LeDuc :080402gudl_prv:

• 2 weeks later...
Can you point me to the part number for the roadie rack? I have to think those are more common and probably cheaper. Thanks alot for the help!

Yeah Jeff - sorry for the delay in getting back, had to go to Arizona and ride around for the holidays..Roadie rack is PN STR-4WM51-10-01. It bolts right on with the slightest persuasion to make it fit at the licence bracket end. Good Luck!

• 1 year later...