IGNORED

External Hard Drive suggestions

ragtop69gs

Well after all this discussion on what's & how's, Carlos has graciously offered to help me put together a NAS box to backup and store all my pc data. Seems like the best solution. Think I'll go get another Hd to extend the capacity.

This has been an extreamly informative subject, thanks to all the contributors. :thumbsup2:

OR IS IT ? A bit of reading and it's got me wondering about NAS. If the NAS is attached and running isn't it also vulnerable to virus and malware infection ? If I disconnect it from the network until the next time I want to backup, then how does it catchup on data changes in the 2 PC's I'm looking to protect.?

Again my main goal in all this is the protection of my OS's and data. Once a month or so I'd want to update my important stuff. So is NAS or Cloned drives in a safe the better solution?

:bang head: only because there is no little exploding head guy to put here :whistling:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct when assuming that a NAS connected your system can become infected. The NAS can be disconnected when not in use and then reconnected when the next backup is scheduled. Your backup software would backup only the changes that were made since the last backup. A nifty little gadget is a docking station that will attach two 2 1/2 inch HD's through a USB port. They (the HD's) can be inserted or removed at will. You could have any number of HD's on the shelf that contain clones, backups, data storage, etc. Insert what you want and off you go. As long as they are on the shelf they are safe from malware.

I use a hot swapable HD that can hold a complete image of my system. Open the door and remove the drive. Stick in another one that may contain different programs, data files, picture folders, large game files, etc. If you use an SSD they are extremely fast.

Guest tx2sturgis
So is NAS or Cloned drives in a safe the better solution?

If you really want to have the best solution, do BOTH.

It really depends on how badly you need to retain data NO MATTER WHAT.

I do both. Its not a big deal, really. I keep 2 cold backups as archives, and let the computers each run a dynamic, automated backup. Unless a nuke takes out this town, I can probably easily recover from most failures. Then I add an extra layer of backups:

I have my own simple 'cloud' backup for my pictures and videos that I take on the smartphone or tablet. Its called PogoPlug and works super slick...I also use Dropbox and it also backs up those things.

PogoPlug consists of a small interface box, and you supply a hard drive. The box plugs into your router. No matter WHERE I am any state, any city, as long as I have cellular data, or wifi...my phone will upload any and all pics and videos to the PogoPlug drive at my house. If I lose my smartphone I wont lose all the pictures and videos it has taken.

All the settings and contacts and calendar info is also backed up to my PogoPlug drive, as well as Google Cloud.

I also have a TimeCapsule backing up my iMac continuously.

Yeah, I'm pretty serious about keeping data safe, and it really doesnt cost that much.

I would just HATE to lose 30,000 pictures and videos that I have taken over the last 20 years or so. So I make sure it never happens.

:cool10:

Edited by tx2sturgis

The problem with SSD's is the size and they can end up in "Panic Mode" This is a state where the drive is basically DOA. The Bios won't even read it. Stay away from OCZ on these. As for speed. You raid these in a 0 array and the things flat out fly.

Have to agree with you Lil Beaver on the WD and Seagates. I lost two seagates in a NAS this week. Makes me wonder if the bugs (designers) that WD had moved to seagate the last couple of years. Yea, Its not if, its when. That's why I always use 10, 50 or 60 raid arrays in everything I setup these days.