IGNORED

Draining water pump?

I decided to drain the antifreeze yesterday. Everything went well, drained the radiator, cylinders, etc. but when I got to the water pump I couldn't believe how hard it is to get to the drain plug out. Do I need a special wrench? Do I need to take the exhaust pipe off? If it is the exhaust pipe that has to come off then the bottom screw on the pipe is just as hard to get to. Am I missing something? What if I don't drain the water pump?

Harry

Guest KitCarson

Someone is going to beat me up over this one!! I would not worry about it. The purpose of changing the anti-freeze is to renew it....the older stuff tends to work on the seals and gaskets....not sure how.....but does as it breaks down with time......most manuals recommend to change it every two years , no matter what you do a little will always remain. Just like when you change your oil, you never get absolutely all the old oil out.....but the little oil or little old anti-freeze left is so highly diluted by the new , I really do not think that is a consideration.....just me and common sense talking.......I really do not think it will hurt anything to just leave it alone.....use the premix stuff you can get at a bike shop...fill er up and go for a ride. Kit

You can also, just refill with water, and Run engine, then Redrain. Do this a couple times, before putting in the New Stuff.

Be sure to Use " Distilled " water. On refill I just add 1 1/2 Qt. new Anti Freez, then add 1 1/2 Qt. Distilled Water. Next day, top off the Over Flow Bottle.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing ...drain what I can then refill. I wonder though is there a special wrench for the job? What do you think the dealer would charge to drain and refill? Do you think they would remove the water pump drain plug or just drain what they could and leave it at that?

Harry