IGNORED

Making Lower Fairing Tabs

My left side lower fairing has had most of the mounting tabs broken. For some reason, the right side is fine. Here is how I replaced them:

Items Needed : JB Weld Original Cold-Weld Formula, modeling clay (the kind that needs to be headed to solidify) a Dremel. JB Weld is easy to work with, strong, bonds to plastic, is inexpensive and readily available.

I have included some pictures of the process.

1. Make a mold of the tab on the opposite side of the one you are replacing using clay. Be sure to push the clay into the screw hole so your finished tab will have a hole in it.

2. Mix and stir the JB Weld. I use a disposable plastic bathroom cup.

3. Pour the JB into the mold. Try to make sure the mold is level.

4. Let set for about 24 hours. The instructions say 15-24 hours.

5. Remove the tab from the clay. Use a Dremel to clean up any rough edges or to thin it. Also, make sure the hole is large enough for the screw, if not, adjust with the Dremel.

6. Fit the new tab onto the fairing. Use the Dremel to shape it so it will attach flush and the hole is properly located.

7. Put clay on both sides of the tab where it is to attach to the fairing. Make a channel with the clay to hold the JB in place.

8. Make a small batch of JB and pour it into the channel. You can let it sit for about 15 minutes so it thickens.

WARNING: Cover any parts of the bike that you do not want JB on. Once it sets up on something it is impossible to remove except by sanding so be neat.

9. Push the tab onto the fairing. Insert the screw to keep it in place.

10. Let it set for 24 hours, remove the screw and use the Dremel to do the final shaping and smoothing. You can paint it or leave it grey.

I have made several tabs using JB Weld and I believe it makes a stronger tab than the original tabs. Depending on the location of the tab, I have also used duct tape instead of clay to make the channel and to attach the tab to the fairing while it sets.

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Edited by Donvito

Sounds great. Only problem is a lot of my tabs/mounts/etc. are broken on both left & right sides. Maybe a library of all the tabs on the bikes (83, MK1, MK2, etc) might be useful. Of course you would have to find someone with all their plastic in perfect condition...

-Andrew

They make a molding clay that takes impressions well and then can be baked in a warm oven... might make for a great send around for repairs... the lower takes a LOT of vibration. But that is basically what I did as well, except I used fiberglass and was able to both grab the inner plasic and build the tab, then drilled it later. I included a bit of the straight section of the fairing in the mold for alignment purposes.