IGNORED

1990 Venture TCI Issues?

DO these have the same issues with diodes that the older bikes had? I am chasing an occasional hiccup/cut out @ around 3100 rpm. Its very intermittent. I have cleaned all plugs checked connections and disconnected the tip switch.

You can be driving along for hrs no problem but all of a sudden you get 1 blip. Fells like it has been switched off- it just misses a beat and then goes on like nothing happened!

I love this bike but its drivin me crazy!

DO these have the same issues with diodes that the older bikes had? I am chasing an occasional hiccup/cut out @ around 3100 rpm. Its very intermittent. I have cleaned all plugs checked connections and disconnected the tip switch.

You can be driving along for hrs no problem but all of a sudden you get 1 blip. Fells like it has been switched off- it just misses a beat and then goes on like nothing happened!

It will not have the same diode arrangement as the 83-89 units.

83-89 were an analog style circuitry, essentially there were four separate circuits, one for each cylinder.

In 1990 Yamaha went to a digital style setup. With this there is now a wasted spark style were every plug fires once a revolution instead of once every other. Pickup coils went from four to a single pickup. Nothing mechanical changed in the motor other than lobes on stator. Minor wiring harness changes.

I don't know the fine points of what Yamaha changed, but there have been very few reports of problems with the 1990 & newer TCI's on Ventures or the VMax's that I am aware of.

Something to look at is the connector from pickup coil to harness. I have seen this connector cause complete failure of TCI in earlier models. It will be a 2 pin connector on left side of bike behind cover plate near shock damper (not middle drive cover). One Orange and one Black wire. Ohms between wires should be 81~121 ohms. No continuity on either wire to ground. Both checks are on pickup coil side of connector, don't put ohm meter on harness side. Clean contacts best up can, spade side is easy, female side is harder.

Are you noticing a tach drop out at same time, hard to catch, but it would be another clue to whats happening.

Gary

My 1990 did the exact same thing at the exact same rpm. I replaced it with the Ignitech because I was fearful of it failing on my New England trip, but the OEM TCI never failed me. Just had the 3100 rpm hiccup.

Brian, I see that your bike is for sale.

http://motorcycles.smartcarguide.com/listing/36600452/

I'm in the market for a very clean, low mileage 1990-1993 to replace the twin to yours that has been totaled.

My 1990 has the same hiccup at the same RPMs. The tach does not even twitch. I have just been doing my best to avoid cruising at 3100 RPMs. I will have to check out that connector and see what kind of shape it is in. Every other connector I have checked, so far, has been super clean, with only 30k on the clock.

If you research far enough into the past you will find that the first digital TCI's (1990) had a flaw in the circutry. All 1990 Ventures have this flaw. I replaced mine with a TCI unit from a wrecked 1992 Venture and never had another problem. Any TCI from '91, '92 or '93 will work just fine as the flaw had been fixed.

Have a GREAT day.

Red Baron :301:

• 1 month later...