IGNORED

Cltuch basket chirp

O.K...please don't kill me for bringing up this topic...I know there have been many discussions on it and I think I read them all....but I'm not sure if the question was ever really answered.....is there an actual fix for the chirping that will totally stop it?

Mine is loud enough to drive me crazy....luckily it's a short drive!

Contrary to what most people will tell you there actually IS a fix. Here's how I fixed mine:

1. Change the clutch basket as Don mentioned to an I basket. Will cost a few hundred $$ if you do the work yourself. Did this to mine.

2. Run Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil after changing. Did this to mine.

3. If still chirping, add MotorKote to the oil. No, it will not cause your clutch to slip but may help quiet it down some more. Did this to mine.

4. When none of that works, list the bike on Craigslist and let someone else worry about it. Did this to mine.

5.Then buy a Goldwing. Or a Victory. Or just about any other touring bike. No chirp!

Good luck.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

My 01 would chirp so bad it just about would make your ears bleed after a long day of riding. I put in an I basket and did the clutch upgrade from SkyDoc and now I have just about 3000 miles on it and it chirps under acceleration and when running a steady speed it is still very quite. It was worth every penny and the time it took me to install it. I am using Rotella T6 oil also.

Rich