IGNORED

87 VR Front fork LOUD thunk after redoing seals

First, Its GOOD to be back!!!! Now, I have a problem I HOPE i can get some help with!!!

I changed the front fork seals on my 87 VR. I experienced NO PROBLEMS doing this. Got everything back together, and started riding again. THEN is when I noticed my problem. I followed the book on the oil amount, made sure that no air bubbles were in, progressive springs were in correctly. However, when ever i hit the smallest of bumps, I get a VERY LOUD THUNK. Even when I put air in the front shocks through CLASS, low, medium or high, i STILL get the THUNK.

At first I thought it MIGHT be something with the fairing, however after taking it off a second time and replacing it, i am NOT seeing anything with the fairing. that doesn't mean its not, it just means I am not seeing it!! :-).

Can ANYONE help? anyone have any ideas??

THANK YOU in advance for your help!!!!!

Sounds to me like loose head bearings or a loose stem nut or both. While sitting on the bike with the front brake held tightly; with your on strength, try rocking the bike forward and backward all the time while watching the steering head. If it moves at all or you hear the same noise, what I said above may be your problem.

If you have progressive springs in it, it will take less oil that what the manual calls for, which is 13.8 oz if memory serves me right. The oil level that seems to work very good for me with progressives is right at 5" from the top of the fork tube with the forks completely collapsed. I use 10 wt fork oil and I cut the spacers 3/4" for up in the top. If you didn't have the clunk before, I would be checking out the internals 1st.

So, thank you all for all of your help. The first suggestion, was to grab my front brake and rock back and forth. And guess what I heard, my forks are bottoming out! So a mechanic friend of mine here in Denver, said it could be, Since we messed with them and since they're Original equipment, The fact that we messed with them is why they show their age.

So my choice is, to get new progressive's, Or add some spacers.

Unless I'm missing other options???????

But again, I definitely want to say thank you for all of your help I do appreciate it!!!!!