IGNORED

Messed up cruise control

darthandy

Went to use my cruise control for the first time in several months and an odd thing happens. When I press the CC button, all three lights flash on the dash and then the blue power light stays on. But, when I press the "Set" button nothing happens. I tried in both 4th and 5th gears at 80 kph (50 mph), 100 kph (62 mph) and 115 kph (72 mph). The lights don't flash, the blue power light stays on but nothing happens. I did notice one other thing ... the "On" button used to stay pushed all the way in on the left side when I turned on the CC and then moved to a "center" position when I turned off the bike. Now it goes right to the "center" position. Anyone have any ideas?

I rarely use the CC but, I hate it when something isn't working right on the bike. Especially since that could be a symptom of another problem.

Thanks,

Andy

Had a similar problem. It was the cancel button. Spray all the buttons with some contact cleaner (in the cracks or disassemble the clamp enough to spray up in it). You might get away with just exercising the cancel button. Mine went away when I started doing that.

Went to use my cruise control for the first time in several months and an odd thing happens. When I press the CC button, all three lights flash on the dash and then the blue power light stays on. But, when I press the "Set" button nothing happens. I tried in both 4th and 5th gears at 80 kph (50 mph), 100 kph (62 mph) and 115 kph (72 mph). The lights don't flash, the blue power light stays on but nothing happens.

I did notice one other thing ... the "On" button used to stay pushed all the way in on the left side when I turned on the CC and then moved to a "center" position when I turned off the bike. Now it goes right to the "center" position. Anyone have any ideas?

[...]

Huh -- now that is interesting.

On my bike when I turn my cruise on I fully press the toggle to the left and it immediately goes to the center position (with the 3 lights illuminating for a second or two, then leaving only the BLUE ON light on until I set the cruise). I have never had my 'cruise' toggle switch stay in the ON position (fully pressed to the left). If I leave it in the 'center' position, I have to push it to the 'on' position again for the cruise to turn on after my bike is power cycled.

I believe mine functions as described in the owners manual.

+1 to the cleaning your switches and connection on the handlebar as well as the toggle switch on the dash (if it really stays in the 'on' position the way you describe).

Thanks guys, I'll check out the floorboards as well. The rain that they have threatened us with for a couple of weeks has finally arrived and the weatherman is saying we'll get a couple of days worth. Between that and helping our oldest and her husband move into their first house, it may be a while before I can get to it. We'll see what happens.

Andy

Huh -- now that is interesting.

On my bike when I turn my cruise on I fully press the toggle to the left and it immediately goes to the center position (with the 3 lights illuminating for a second or two, then leaving only the BLUE ON light on until I set the cruise). I have never had my 'cruise' toggle switch stay in the ON position (fully pressed to the left). If I leave it in the 'center' position, I have to push it to the 'on' position again for the cruise to turn on after my bike is power cycled.

I believe mine functions as described in the owners manual.

As does mine. Plus another on the cleaning.

Mike

Also, starting on page 8-73 of the service manual, there are instructions for using the "self-diagnosis mode" of the cruise control system.

I used this when troubleshooting my system as I was able to cycle the pump and measure the pressure drawn, etc etc.

:080402gudl_prv:

Turn the main switch to off. The big black one in the middle where

you were talking about. Press on the right side of switch where it says off.

Turn it back on and it should work again. Sometimes you have to reset it and that's how you do it.

:)

Turn the main switch to off. The big black one in the middle where

you were talking about. Press on the right side of switch where it says off.

Turn it back on and it should work again. Sometimes you have to reset it and that's how you do it.

:)

Thanks, but I did that twice and no joy. Must be something else.

Andy

Also, starting on page 8-73 of the service manual, there are instructions for using the "self-diagnosis mode" of the cruise control system.

I used this when troubleshooting my system as I was able to cycle the pump and measure the pressure drawn, etc etc.

:080402gudl_prv:

Aha! Didn't know about that one. I'll check that as well.

Thanks,

Andy

Both the clutch and brake levers must be fully disengaged (out the whole way) for the switch for disengaging the cc to be depressed. If there is play in either lever the cc won't "set". Try pushing the levers away from you and see if the cc will set. Do them one at a time and you may find the problem. I had to recently replace the bushing, located in the clutch lever, so the clutch lever would depress the switch and allow the cc to set. There is also a switch on the rear brake pedel that maybe gummed up.

Good luck!

Both the clutch and brake levers must be fully disengaged (out the whole way) for the switch for disengaging the cc to be depressed. If there is play in either lever the cc won't "set". Try pushing the levers away from you and see if the cc will set. Do them one at a time and you may find the problem. I had to recently replace the bushing, located in the clutch lever, so the clutch lever would depress the switch and allow the cc to set. There is also a switch on the rear brake pedel that maybe gummed up.

Good luck!

Even more possibilities. This may take a while!

Andy

Good luck!

Since this was an easy place to start, I tried this first. Pushed away the clutch and held it there as I hit the "Set" button. Sure enough, the cruise light came on. Looks like that may be the problem. Now, where did you get that bushing for the clutch lever? From the dealer?

Thanks,

Andy