IGNORED

squeaky rear shock

Rockdoc

Hi there. I'm afraid its that old grumble about a noisy rear shock. It has never leaked oil and still holds about 18psi. I had a go last summer of getting rid of the squeak in my rear shock. So off it came and all the places recommended here to be greased up were. To no avail as it still squeaks audibly. So my question is, and I apologise if its already been covered on the forum, can I reduce the noise by increasing/decreasing the air pressure and can I lubricate the piston rod via the air hose without taking the shock off the bike?

Thanks guys and gals for listening.

By the way, any of you tested the new Guzzi California 1400... it's a really sweet ride.

The groan is coming form inside the shock so not really much you can do about it, sometimes it is a indication the shock is failing however mine has been groaning for over a year and is still good. I think mine is just mimiking me it groans mostly on cold days. :backinmyday:

Tried the oil down the schro..... valve thingy. Short piece of garden hose fitts over the valvle stub and left it overnight to slowly settle in. Had it on the centre stand and rolled it off to 'pump' the shock. It shocked me back with a little spit full of oil ( a real Homer moment!!). However, after sealing everything up and putting in about 20psi the damn squeak is still there. Perhaps it will settle out after tomorrows ride. Otherwise what else is there left apart from a new shock?

My original shock groaned and squeaked for years and finally failed after 10 years. Did it mostly when first getting on the bike or when cold. I wouldnt worry about it until you lose oil.

Thank you both. I guess my concern is that at some point I'll need to sell her, and then have the job of explaining to any prospective buyer that 'they all do that'. I guess I could always point them in the direction of this forum. Anyway that day is some way off I hope, thanks again.

Thank you both. I guess my concern is that at some point I'll need to sell her, and then have the job of explaining to any prospective buyer that 'they all do that'. I guess I could always point them in the direction of this forum. Anyway that day is some way off I hope, thanks again.

In my case the groan was cured by lubricating the slide on the shock. That was done in 2003, and my shock has never groaned again or failed.

:farmer