IGNORED

To wave or not to wave....

Bert2006

It's not like the good ol' days anymore, there are so many riders around town now, if I waved at all of them I wouldn't have time to shift... But we're working on thinning the herd... every morning there's at least one is involved in an accident in a traffic commute report ..

I will give 'm the cool 2 fingered low wave when I'm out on the road. I don't care what they're riding they generally will return the greeting..... :whistling:

It seems there are so many bikes on the road now that waving is a chore and distracting. If they wave I nod otherwise I don't typically.

A side note that I was reading about on M/C etiquette is that when they ride as a group only the "Chase" or "Sweep," (many different terms here), acknowledges a wave. Perhaps that was why no one else waved in the group you drove past...

Twenty years ago, riding my Honda Nighthawk on a back road, I was waved to by about 10 big bikes (probably Harleys all) and thought how nice that was of them to wave at me on a little Jap bike.

Found out the next day that minutes later, some kid plowed through them in a turn, killing two and injuring several.

The generosity of that wave has always stuck with me.

I always wave but don't get a lot of Harley riders waving back unless they mistake my Midnight RSTD for one of theirs.I asked 3 of my friends that ride Harley's why they don't wave back and their reply in unison was "Cause my bike is vibrating so bad I'm scared to let go of the handlebars

:stickinouttounge:

Where I live, most everybody waves regardless of what you are riding. Except during Sturgis time. If I waved at every bike I came across in SD during the rally I'd sure as heck crash.

Maybe it has something to do with where you live. Midwesterners are usually friendly people to start with. Not saying other areas arent friendly, just that some are more friendly than others...

Awhile back I was listening to a local sports radio show. They were talking about a college recruit that made a visit to a small SD college coming from California. He was with his dad and they drove here. When they got to SD his dad started to wave at oncoming vehicles to see what their reponse was. They were surprised by how many returned the waves. By the time they got to the college for their visit, they knew how friendly the area would be and had their minds half made up about coming to the local college. I am pretty sure the kid commited to the college before the end of the visit. They couldnt believe how nice the people were.

When I purchased my first motorcycle, my "policy" was to wave at anything with 2 wheels and a motor, since we all were in the same boat, so to speak. I consider waving a way of saying, "I see you. Stay safe."

I noticed that most scooters don't wave back. I don't wave at scooters any more. But I do wave at all motorcycles, if I see them and I'm not in the middle of shifting.