IGNORED

Cruise control and odometer questions

Hi folks, I have a couple of questions on how to use cruise control and on the odometer.:bang head:

When you set the cruise and release the throttle, is it normal for it to drop speed by about 5 m/h then resume the set speed? Also, when set, I rest my hand on the throttle, but seem to unintentionnaly twist the handle and increase speed. Any tricks on how to avoid doing this. I tried placing my palm on the counterweight end, but that induces countersteer and moves the bike. Any hints?

For the odometer, can it be switched to KM instead of miles. The bike was originally sold in NH so it has Miles with KM inset on the speedo and odo is in Miles. If it can be done, how?

No you can't change the odometer to km unless you get a whole new unit.

When you set the cruise try this hit set then quickly move button to resume. This should stop the lag time. All the bikes will slow (lag) if this is not done.

How to avoid increasing speed....boy thats a good one...if someone figures it out let the rest of us know please! I cant seem to do it either. I do rest both hands on the weights lots of times.

When you set the cruise try this hit set then quickly move button to resume. This should stop the lag time. All the bikes will slow (lag) if this is not done.

That procedure works for me on both of my Ventures.

When the MM was fairly new, I don't remember having the speed droop problem. I would just set it and it held right there. Seem that I remember the "drooping then picking back up" stuff starting around 40k miles.

Hi folks, I have a couple of questions on how to use cruise control and on the odometer. When you set the cruise and release the throttle, is it normal for it to drop speed by about 5 m/h then resume the set speed? Also, when set, I rest my hand on the throttle, but seem to unintentionnaly twist the handle and increase speed. Any tricks on how to avoid doing this. I tried placing my palm on the counterweight end, but that induces countersteer and moves the bike. Any hints? For the odometer, can it be switched to KM instead of miles. The bike was originally sold in NH so it has Miles with KM inset on the speedo and odo is in Miles. If it can be done, how? Thanks

The droop you experience could be result of the cables being on the loose side. I tightened mine up and its less noticable but still there.. but it did cure the cruise control drop out when hitting big bump or heavy wind gusts.. Once the slack in the cables is gone, the whole system works better..

Something you can also try to avoid the droop is that when you select "Set", immidiately press 'ACC" twice and you should notice little to no droop at all.. (select down once, then twice upwards). Or simply hold the throttle until you feel the bike's cruise control catching up in few seconds...

As for the inadvertent twisting of the throttle, all I could suggest is perhaps you may have to tight of a grip on the bar, or you're holding your wrist too high which would cause acceleration when ever your wrist drops with bumps or such.. (you should ride with a flat wrist..) One of these might be the issue.. You can safely ride a bike with a less than firm grip as long as your hand is wrapped around the grip. This allows you to steer the bike yet not induce unwanted twisting of the throttle.. I've never experienced this issue on my bike..

Since installing the VMax rear, I've found the cruise control more reponsive than before due to the revs being higher. Makes for an overall better ride on those long trips.

The droop you experience could be result of the cables being on the loose side. I tightened mine up and its less noticable but still there.. but it did cure the cruise control drop out when hitting big bump or heavy wind gusts.. Once the slack in the cables is gone, the whole system works better..

Seaking

I assume you mean the throttle cable?:322:

Seaking

I assume you mean the throttle cable?

Brakes... ;)

The throttle cables run through a round 'gizmo' down under the left side of the bike, below the tank, it allows the cruise control cables to join up with the throttle cables etc (two sets go in, one set comes out). If these are slack or loose, it makes it harder on the cruise control system to do it's job properly..

There's an article somewhere on this site that explains it all a lot better than I could.. with proper nomenclature ;)

For the cruise... I hold the set button for 2 seconds and let go. No drop in speed.

When "resting" your hand on the throttle with cruise set, have slight forward pressure on it (like you are going to decelerate). Might take some getting used to but forward pressure on your hand and the throttle position stays based on the cruise control.