IGNORED

Progressive Insurance Co's rate revision for Georgia

ediddy

Progressvie Insurance Company has never been comepetetive on the 2nd gen venture. When they recently notified me that they were having a rate revision that was a 5% reduction I got excited but that excitement changed to disappointment very quickly. When I purchased my 05 RSV in 2005 progessive's rate was over $900.00 per year so I placed my coverage with another company at $502.00 per year. I am carrying 100/300/50 liability, 100/300/50 uninsured motorist, 10,000 medical payments, 250 deductible on comprehensive and collision and roadside assistance. After the 5% rate reduction my rate for this coverage with progressive would be $1,658.00 per year. I called progressive and told them this was not a rate reduction. I also quoted an 08 Ultra Classic anniversary edition and before the reduction the annual rate was $528.00 per year but after the revision it is over $900.00 per year. The product manager in the home office asked me to fax several recent quotes I had done to her, yes it is a female, and she would get back with me. I faxed the quotes and when I went to the international motorcyle show in Atlanta she, the product manager, was there. She said progressive had been losing money on the touring bike line and increased the rates for touring bikes but lowered the rates on other bikes. There are two things companies look at when determining rates and these are the loss frequency and loss severity. She said both of these had increased on touring bikes. She also said that before the revision they had all the harleys in one catagory but were seperating the touring bikes and increasing rates but were lowering rates on the fatboy and softails. I was surprised because I would have thought the touring bikes would have had the lowest losses because normally you have mature riders that aren't hot rodding there bikes but this is not the case. Anyway I re wrote my coveage with another company at renewal on February 17 for $409.00 per year. If any of you in Georgia are insured with progressive get ready for a rate increase. If you would like to see what other company's rates are let me know and I will be glad to quote you with the top seven companies in Georgia.

Wow, Eddie - that is a huge difference - I'm not sure about their reasoning. I have mine through Progressive - found them to be OK so far - but maybe should check around :confused24:. Georgia may be different from California, but I would think the "concept" would be the same for this company nationwide?

I have Geico and carry 100/300 liabilty, 500 deductible comp/colision and roadside assistance. I do not carry underinsured or uninsured, my state does not require it. It only covers a maximum of 30,000 medical on the rider and passenger is covered regardless. I have great medical with work and do not have a medical cap amount. my total for this year is $154.

I use to have progressive they wanted twice this price for the same thing. I did have an incident with progressive when I had them, and I have to say they were there the next day cutting me a check for the damage. charged me more for the next three years for a rear tire that locked up because of a bag falling off the back and getting caught in rear tire. tire ruined and the peg for hold down cord on bike frame cracked the frame causing them to total the bike. they said it was preventible and so I payed more for three years.

David

Guest KitCarson

I have tried to purchase insurance from progressive several times....just recently when I purchased the new Wing......I gave them a call....just to see. They wanted $689.00 and some change......I forget what...I have just stayed with State Farm at $360.43 a year. I did ask the lady we have our home insured with you.....all our vehicles......how much discount is it and how much would it be if I just walked in the door......she told me it would be $435.00 a year. So I have never been able to deal with Progressive...they have always quoted me a very high price.

Isn't it amazing how wide the insurance cost differences are. I can see variations due to population density which does increase the risk factor but we all know that's not the deciding factor.

I just renew my Progressive policy. $551 covers my '06 Wing and '00 RSV with 100/300/50 coverage. I do use $500 deductible to hold the cost down just a bit. Guess the touring class price bump didn't get to Texas yet. Either that or someone was blowing smoke because they didn't want to tell the real story... Makes you think ..........:smile5::smile5:

when I was in Illinois I had Geico and my rate for my 03 was $198.00 a year. I moved to Texas and Geico wanted over $500.00 so I went with Progressive who wanted $380 a year. Bought my 07 back in December and Progressive wanted $765.00, Called Geico and they gave me the same coverage for $381.00 a year so I switched. The area you live in does reflect what you will pay. I can't figure out why one company is so much more then another company one year and then less the next. All I know is from now on when it comes time to renew I'm shopping around.

Guest Fly-N-Lo

Ken,

I went through the Hendon Agency in Acworth. They wrote me Dairyland full coverage with low deductibles and I listed replacement value at $6k. Keep in mind I have a 90VR with a lot of extras. It only cost me $187 this year. I know, I know, 1st's are not the same as 2nd's but give them a try. The people there are great to work with and they shop for the best rates.

I am shocked at some of the low prices from GEICO. I also have GEICO. I carry full coverage with a $250 deductible and 100/300/50 coverage. I have not had a ticket in 35 years and have no collisions. I was told by my Geico agent and I quote" You could not get a lower rate if you were the CEO of Exxon." I just paid my premium again this month and it was $446.10 for 12 months. Those of you giving GEICO rates, I am curious if that is for 6 months or 12 months policies. GEICO also insures my 2005 truck and 2004 car. My motorcycle insurance is much higher than the car or truck policies. I know there or other factors that effect insurance rates, such as the location you live and believe it or not, your credit rating.