IGNORED

Radio Problems

1 - UP

One of our members is having trouble with his radio and CB. He thought it had to do with his helmet and the mic boom. So he was due to get new helmets and he got new mic's and boom's for him and his wife. That did not help. The radio will turn itself off, and come on by it's self. He can not transmit on the CB. Don't know about the intercom. When I was up in Indy earlier this summer, we split the fairing, and cleaned the connections to the radio, still had trouble. Any of you guys out there got an idea or had a problem like this.

Thanks,

Ken, 1 - UP:backinmyday:

Not sure about the radio turning off and on by itself, sounds like a problem in the controller, they tend to get water damage sometimes, he may want to split that controller housing and take a peek, if that is the problkem a good cleaning with contact cleaner and dry with a hair dryer,(gently) then reseal electronics with a clear sealant for computer boards and reseal the housing with some clear RTV silicone.

As far as not being able to transmit, that is probably corroded contacts on the push to talk button, had similar issue on my 07, had to take the switch apart, buff the contacts with some fine sandpaper then coat them with grease used on light bulb sockets that you can get at any auto parts store, I have not had any more issues with my PTT button.

Before you split the controller try a couple other things first.

Check the connections behind the fairing, in 95% of the ones I have worked on this has been the culprit (some with the exact same symptoms). Take them apart clean them and put back together with dielectric grease.

Check the cable going under the seats, if it is getting pinched it will cause some of the symptoms you described especially if they have a backrest installed.