IGNORED

1033 Mile ride in Western NC!!

dewinks

Soooooooooo.......

Went camping with my wife and her dad in the Nantahala National Forest / Smoky Mountains in NC / TN this past week. Did 5 days, camping at the Fontana Dam Campground. I know others have mentioned it probably thousands of times, but every time I go back to West NC, it is apparent. One of the nicest places on earth. Motorcycle friendly to boot!

I rode my trusty 92 VR (BLUE!!!!) to the site, my wife drove our lifted 4runner with pop-up camper in tow, and dad-in-law drove his truck with his vstar silverado in the back (and his own tent! :rotf:).

Along with some of the best motorcycling east of the Mississippi, we also did some serious back-country offroad driving in my 4runner. We ended up on some powerline trails 6000 feet up in the Smoky's, unbelievable.

For anyone who's never been to the Fontana Dam (or never heard of it), check it out. It is the largest dam east of the Rocky Mountains. 480 feet tall and a half mile long. It was built from 1942 to 1945 by the TVA, along with I believe 13 other dams. There is a museum/info center on top, and you can ride/drive across it too. It also happens to be part of the Appalachian Trail. Too cool.

In the end, 1033 miles on my New-to-me Venture Royal in 5 days. Ran like a top, just as expected. I'm running the Dunlop Elite 3's, and they were perfect in all conditions, and believe me, I ran into them all. After several runs over the Dragon, Rte 28, the Cherohala Skyway, and 73 in TN by the Little River, there are absolutely no spots on those tires that haven't seen the tarmac. One new problem is the radio cuts out once in a while, tuner goes blank, except for a few red dots on the top of the tuner screen, and some clicking static. Oh well, I'm sure someone will pipe in and tell me what it is. :fingers-crossed-emo

I will post pics later, I find this site extremely hard to post pics due to the size limitations. If someone can tell me the best way to post pics, that would help a bunch.

N.

Congrats on your ride and thanks for shaing your post. It's always refreshing and exhilarating when you can ride great roads without problems and think it doesn't get better than this. Thanks for sharing. Now post those pics!!

Thanks! unfortunately I am using a Macbook Pro, and occasionally my Android phone. I will figure another way. The Google machine has a way of making quick work of anything these days.

Does anyone know how to make the pictures go directly in the post and not as a thumbnail? I tried getting a flickr account and linking pics, but can't get that right either. I am a mulit-core-skilled Jet Engine Technician, but can't seem to master this picture thing. Damn........:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Along with some of the best riding, roads, scenery on Earth Western NC has some of the best white water boating on the planet. Toss in places to go "wheelin'" either in a 4x4 or on an ATV (wheeler in NNY redneck speak) I want to live there some day. And that doesn't even take into account the barbeque joints.

I go down every Memorial Day to vacation with our daughter and have a hard time returning to the land of the taxed and home of the fee'd. :mo money:

Soooooooooo.......

Went camping with my wife and her dad in the Nantahala National Forest / Smoky Mountains in NC / TN this past week. Did 5 days, camping at the Fontana Dam Campground. I know others have mentioned it probably thousands of times, but every time I go back to West NC, it is apparent. One of the nicest places on earth. Motorcycle friendly to boot!

I rode my trusty 92 VR (BLUE!!!!) to the site, my wife drove our lifted 4runner with pop-up camper in tow, and dad-in-law drove his truck with his vstar silverado in the back (and his own tent! :rotf:).

Along with some of the best motorcycling east of the Mississippi, we also did some serious back-country offroad driving in my 4runner. We ended up on some powerline trails 6000 feet up in the Smoky's, unbelievable.

For anyone who's never been to the Fontana Dam (or never heard of it), check it out. It is the largest dam east of the Rocky Mountains. 480 feet tall and a half mile long. It was built from 1942 to 1945 by the TVA, along with I believe 13 other dams. There is a museum/info center on top, and you can ride/drive across it too. It also happens to be part of the Appalachian Trail. Too cool.

In the end, 1033 miles on my New-to-me Venture Royal in 5 days. Ran like a top, just as expected. I'm running the Dunlop Elite 3's, and they were perfect in all conditions, and believe me, I ran into them all. After several runs over the Dragon, Rte 28, the Cherohala Skyway, and 73 in TN by the Little River, there are absolutely no spots on those tires that haven't seen the tarmac. One new problem is the radio cuts out once in a while, tuner goes blank, except for a few red dots on the top of the tuner screen, and some clicking static. Oh well, I'm sure someone will pipe in and tell me what it is. :fingers-crossed-emo

I will post pics later, I find this site extremely hard to post pics due to the size limitations. If someone can tell me the best way to post pics, that would help a bunch.

N.

You telling me you rode by Marion and didn,t give a shout out.I needed a good reason to go for a ride.BTW my dad helped build the dam.He is in one of the pictures at the museum.The town where he was born and lived (Proctor) is now under water ,Once a year they lower the water level and you can take a boat over and see the town.

You telling me you rode by Marion and didn,t give a shout out.I needed a good reason to go for a ride.BTW my dad helped build the dam.He is in one of the pictures at the museum.The town where he was born and lived (Proctor) is now under water ,Once a year they lower the water level and you can take a boat over and see the town.

I knew you would pipe in, Rooster! It was sort of a memorial trip for my wife's late mother, which is why her dad came. We were kind of just spending some time together, and remembering her when we could. Next time, I promise, I will let 'yall know :confused24:. I should be back out there October latest, got some friends riding down from Western Mass.

OK, as promised here are a few pics. Check out the Ducati Streetfighter! :225:

My wife has most of the good ones on her phone, so I'll have to steal those soon. Also, I figured out if you just choose one photo at a time, they resize automatically. This time, anyway :cool10:.............

The Fontana Dam was also in the movie the fugitive. We were up that way last Oct. If you like the turning leaves your going to like it. Take a trip over to Andrews by way of some little ole switch back something or other from Franklin way. I forget the name/number now but it was great. Well atleat untill the dumkoff in the expensive Range Rover that cant drive in the mountians keept spiking the brakes and mine overheated and went OUT. Carnage was avoided and we continued after a colling off period.