IGNORED

Chasing the Front End!!!

I have started to look for causes of why it seems like I am always chasing the front end at hwy speeds, even slower speeds sometimes. I have read about the possible causes that other people have posted. One thing I have noticed on my bike is; when it is on the center stand, with the front wheel off the ground, I can feel a detent in the steering, exactly at center position. (Handle bars centered) I think I know my answer, but I wanted to hear from the experts. I am suspecting I either need to replace the bearings in the steering or at least take them out and get some fresh grease on them. I know this may not be the reason for the front end chase, however, I need to rule it out. I have played with air pressures, inspected the frame for the crack that may happen on the 83's. I have not checked the rear sway bar bushings yet. I have E III's front and rear, it has done this since I have had the bike. I put these tires on it before I even rode it. Back to my question, Is it normal to have a detent in the centered position?

Is it normal to have a detent in the centered position?

NO.

If you mean by "chasing the front end" that the bike is constantly requiring straight line correction, then you have discovered the number one reason for this "chasing". The detent will not be fixed by greasing. The bearings must be replaced.

While your at it and seeing as the forks are going to be out anyways, might as well take them forks apart and make sure sure that everything inside is as it's supposed to be,, you'd be surprised at what I have found inside. It only takes a bit of time and gives you piece of mind.

I think what your talking about would maybe be identified as a squiggle. We had that issue some years ago, 2or3, and I was one of the worst, couldn't ride any faster than 65mph or things would start to move around, like I was bucking the wind from a trailer. So I tightened up the motor mounts, checked alignment, changed tire pressures, took off the bags and trunk, took the whole back end apart, replaced the main bolt on the swing arm, installed a super brace and progressive springs, changed from Avons to E-IIIs, finally took the front end apart again and now finally things have improved, not 100%, but much better. I would suggest it's the front end. As a side note, it would squiggle with 1 up, but put a passenger on the back seat, even a small one, and problem went away.

Yah! Plus one for replacing the triple tree bearings! Chances are you still have the original grease which has now turned to glue, and the bearing races have developed hard spots as well! Replace the bearings AND the races, do not reuse the old ones!

I also highly recommend a super brace or the Condor version to stiffen up the front end. Your front tire can also contribute to the issue as well as wheel bearings, and the condition of your front fork innards. As Carl mentioned, wear on the swing arm components can contribute to the overall situation as well. But most likely the oscillations or wobble is front end issues. The torque on the fork bearings is significant, but then again so is tire balance...