IGNORED

Found fuel leak but.......

2003 VENTURE I finally found where I'm leaking fuel from, but no easy fix. On the back side of carb on the float bowl cover there are 2 brass fittings (at least I think they're brass) one that points downward with a pin hole in end and the other to the left that's almost horizontal. I called a Dealer and asked about replacing the part NO SUCH PART EXISTS nor does it show in service manual. Also, the float bowl cover can not be purchased separately, WOW, I was really surprised the cover wasn't a separate part. Guess I'll have to find a cheap used carb that's

That's probably the easy part. Oh and I called 2 different Dealers and spoke to both parts and service techs hoping someone knew something the other didn't but they all were as confused and just as surprised as I was about the float cover and NO ONE has a clue about those fittings on the back.

If you post a picture of what you are looking at, it may help us identify to what exactly you are referring.

To me it sounds like you might be talking about the float bowl drain hole and maybe the overflow that is missing a hose...

Looking at the parts fiche, I see ALL of the carb parts available as separate pieces or the assembly as a whole. I use part$hark.c0m for quick reference. Often their prices are better than any where else as well.

---

Some more information may be helpful in order for us to help you; such as...

Have you had the carbs apart for a good inspection and cleaning? How many miles are on your bike? How often is it ridden? How long have you had it? Has it sat for a long time? Does it leak all the time? Only when hot? only when cold? only when running? etc...

If you post a picture of what you are looking at, it may help us identify to what exactly you are referring.

To me it sounds like you might be talking about the float bowl drain hole and maybe the overflow that is missing a hose...

Looking at the parts fiche, I see ALL of the carb parts available as separate pieces or the assembly as a whole. I use part$hark.c0m for quick reference. Often their prices are better than any where else as well.

---

Have you had the carbs apart for a good inspection and cleaning? How many miles are on your bike? How often is it ridden? How long have you had it? Has it sat for a long time? Does it leak all the time? Only when hot? only when cold? only when running? etc...

If it's missing overflow hose it's missing on all four I SPECIFICALLY asked the tech if it was overflow related and they still had no clue I can't post pics here the program I have won't down size pics The bike only has 4000 miles and runs and starts perfect but the gas is a drip 123 count drip I went to part sharks and pretty much same diagram as service manual EXCEPT for 2 items There's 2 parts that show on the SHARK PARTS diagram that are DEFINITELY NOT shown on service manual I have both an online version and the actual paper manual also the dealer s did not show anything coming from the back of the float cover the one on SHARK shows #12 which is a plug drain and #63 which is a pipe right where the brass parts I described are. No hoses or pipes coming from the float cover(or backside of carbs) and according to dealers service and parts they showed NOTHING, BUT I think YOUR RIGHT it has something to do with over flow THANKS I 'm gonna put it all back together and take it to dealer, but before I let them look at it I'm gonna look at one in the show room and see whats under there. I mean if there's no diagram showing anything there HOW CAN THEY FIX IT???

Edited by usedcyclesales

If it's missing overflow hose it's missing on all four I SPECIFICALLY asked the tech if it was overflow related and they still had no clue I can't post pics here the program I have won't down size pics The bike only has 4000 miles and runs and starts perfect but the gas is a drip 123 count drip I went to part sharks and pretty much same diagram as service manual EXCEPT for 2 items There's 2 parts that show on the SHARK PARTS diagram that are DEFINITELY NOT shown on service manual I have both an online version and the actual paper manual also the dealer s did not show anything coming from the back of the float cover the one on SHARK shows #12 which is a plug drain and #63 which is a pipe right where the brass parts I described are. No hoses or pipes coming from the float cover(or backside of carbs) and according to dealers service and parts they showed NOTHING, BUT I think YOUR RIGHT it has something to do with over flow THANKS I 'm gonna put it all back together and take it to dealer, but before I let them look at it I'm gonna look at one in the show room and see whats under there. I mean if there's no diagram showing anything there HOW CAN THEY FIX IT???

Note that there are only TWO over flow hoses for the carbs -- one for each bank and the float bowels on the front/back [left/right depending on how you have them oriented] are paired off, so you only really need two.

The only time you should have fuel coming out of those is if you have a float stuck or maybe if something is really clogged.

I imagine SOMEWHERE on this site, there are some pictures of where these hoses are supposed to be and routed to. I will look to see if I can find some of mine when I had it apart, but I think I only have pictures of my carbs off the bike.

I too wish there were some good diagrams available somewhere - but, I guess this is all we have.

If you have a leaky drain, it could be as simple as back the drain screw out a little bit and re tighten it as maybe some crap got built up and the screw vibrated loose or something. :confused24:

Anyway - I hope it is something simple, quick and inexpensive to figure out. :080402gudl_prv:

In fairness, the cover of the float chamber is not available as a replacement part -- and this is from Yamaha's books. The drain plug screw and the very short drain hose are -- but not the cover itself.

Now to clarify the terminology somewhat: choose one carb of the four and look at its diaphragm cover (i.e. like you would be standing on one side of the bike trying look towards the other side, through the bike). The float chamber is opposite the diaphragm cover and tilted downwards. The overflow (or vent) hose would then connect to a T fitting to the top center of the carb pair you're currently looking at. It goes from there to the air filter housing on the side you're standing on and is held in place by a clamp near the air intake.

The drain hose is the very short one (like 1-2" short) coming straight out of the center of the float chamber cover. It's only purpose is to prevent gas dribbling on the carb body and down onto the rubber intake joint when you intentionally drain the float chambers by loosening the drain plug screw.

It could well be what LilBeaver said (drain plug screw not fully closed for whatever reason) so check that first.

---

Okay finally changed pic size on camera to show what I'm asking about all four carbs have just the fittings with no hose or pipe on them also they are not shown on diagram in Service manual on line or the hard copy that I have. although PARTSHARKS diagram shows 1 fitting and a "pipe" coming from it #12 and # 63 http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=281980&category=motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2003&fveh=6836