IGNORED

driveshaft? transmission? whats going on? plz help

Ok so hello everyone got a few tech questions first let me explain the situation I picked up a 1983 venture a week ago I took it on a couple mile test ride no issues I took it to the store (a few more miles) no issues then I took it on the 30 mile trip to work the whole way up the bike ran great no issues I got to the stop light before work and shifted into neutral when the light turned green I shifted into first and all I got was a slight grinding noise more of a grumble than a grind she shift easily into all gears but the is no drive or pull when the clutch is released ? I have since pulled the rear wheel and when I pulled it I started the bike and shifted into gear there was movement but it was weak enuf to not spin the tire so I pulled the rear drive and shaft it seems to be fine all splines are good and no unnecessary play I pulled the left cover off and when I pull in the clutch and shift from n to first the nut in there doesnt spin freely but in n it does any ideas as to what the hecks going on? If I did a poor job of explaining please feel free to ask any question or make any correction

:sign07:

Did you lose your post?

Look like this one?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=78434

It takes bit to find your way around here in the beginning. Go to the original post and edit at the bottom to "Instant email" and you will be notified when ever anyone responds.

Looks like you have a few responses waiting.

At the top right corner of the page where it shows your sign in name, click that and then "Statisics" and it will show all posts made by you or all threads started by you. Click one of those and it will help you find where you want to go back to.

Did you stick the driveshaft into the final drive and rotate the shaft to see if the the wheel hub turns OK? And vice versa, rotate the wheel hub and see if the drive shaft spins OK. If everything from the driveshaft back to the wheel drive hub is turning properly, the there's a problem in the transmission or middle gear assembly.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

This same thing happened with my '84. I pulled my swing arm and looked inside with a flashlight. If you have the same problem you can see what's wrong. There is a recent post about grinding in all gears with pictures if you can find it. There is a splined shaft with a spring in the middle gear area that splits. It is not an easy fix since you have to pull the engine and split the case.

You talkin' bout this then, huh?!

I discovered this on Big Dudes bike a couple of years ago. It's the knuckle gear into the back of the middle gear to drive it. Yammers replacement included a shorter, lighter spring behind the gear.....I think

Here's some pics...