IGNORED

Removing TCI computer

Yep, it's in a good spot. Mounted between the coils on the mounting bracket. When I had to get mine out the first time the screws were Phillips head. Rusted, corroded and had plans to stay where they were.

I ended up pulling the battery and air box, removed all the mounting screws for the braket and got it turned around to remove the whole plate. It's been a few years since I did that so there might be more. I don't remember if I had the carbs still on the bike that time.

I had to remove the TCI screws with a chizel. Changed them to Allen heads up from the bottom for future ease of replacement. Most guys just move it to the top of the battery.

I just took mine out this Spring. Remove the airbox, I removed the front plastic baffle that sits on the valve cover (take it out the right side of the bike) then I used a small ratchet with a 1" long #3 Phillips head driver in a ¼" socket and they came right out. A mirror helped me to see the screws. Mine weren't rusted at all and came out without much effort. I also removed the "boost sensor" first (using the same wrench set-up) although it may not HAVE to be removed. Removing it just gave me some more room. I installed Dingy's Ignitech on the airbox and didn't reinstall the old TCI. I did reinstall the boost sensor so that I could fall back to stock without difficulty, if needed. I used conventional hex head bolts to reinstall the boost sensor (makes it easier to remove in the future).

The hardest part of the job was reassembling the airbox especially the crankcase ventilation hose from the airbox to the "twinky". Don't forget to re-install the plastic baffle onto the valve cover.

The hardest part of the job was reassembling the airbox especially the crankcase ventilation hose from the airbox to the "twinky". Don't forget to re-install the plastic baffle onto the valve cover.

Every time I see that term 'Twinky' I get a chuckle... It's amazing how some things just stick. Long time ago when I was a new member...and didn't know squat... I was having some problems. Can't remember what exactely it was, but in trying to discribe what I was looking at, and not having a clue what it was called, I refered to it as a 'Twinky'. Kinda because it looked like one. The dang term stuck....and has intertained me for a lotta years..... :)

If your TCI is dead, you can do what I did. very large screwdriver, drive it in gently between it and the mount near the ear and then, SNAP remove the TCI and leave the mounting screws and the mounting ears where they will live forever.

relocating it to the top of the airbox, even if it is 100% perfect is a better location, it's very dry up there unlike where the stock mounting location is.

I will never understand why the stock TCI has has Vent holes to let water in.

If your TCI is dead, you can do what I did. very large screwdriver, drive it in gently between it and the mount near the ear and then, SNAP remove the TCI and leave the mounting screws and the mounting ears where they will live forever.

relocating it to the top of the airbox, even if it is 100% perfect is a better location, it's very dry up there unlike where the stock mounting location is.

I will never understand why the stock TCI has has Vent holes to let water in.

very similar to what I did. I took a miniature hack saw ( bought in plumbing section) , pulled the battery box and covered the carbs with a rag and cut the ears off with the aid of a mirror placesd on top of the shop rag and then relocated to the top of the air box.

David

I got it out. I don't think Yamaha intended for it to be removed....

There is nothing wrong with it s far as I know but I wanted to move it since I have the fairing off anyway.

I wound up taking the air box off and the battery holder support member. Now to mount to the air box next.....

As long as its " Out " be sure to Remove the top cover of the unit. Put it in the Oven in the kitchen at a setting of about 100 to 110 deg. F. for an hour or two.

This will Dry out the " Moisture " which has accumulated inside the box over the years !!

This IS, a Good Thing to do !!!!