IGNORED

DC to Tampa, FL ride - possible routes

TwoStars

I’m planning a ride from the Washington DC area to Tampa, Florida and back, planning to leave May 1 pending weather. This is strictly a motorcycle ride. We don’t have to be anywhere and have no schedule. The only restriction is having to be back by May 9. We were thinking of hugging the east coast going down, primarily sticking to Rt. 17, picking up Rt 301 north of Jacksonville, FL and continuing on into Tampa. On the return we will reverse that, picking up Rt 15 in SC and taking that through Chapel Hill, NC and on into VA. I know nothing of these roads south of Virginia and am open to comments, warnings, alternate routes, and side trips that don’t take us too far off course.

I’m planning a ride from the Washington DC area to Tampa, Florida and back, planning to leave May 1 pending weather. This is strictly a motorcycle ride. We don’t have to be anywhere and have no schedule. The only restriction is having to be back by May 9. We were thinking of hugging the east coast going down, primarily sticking to Rt. 17, picking up Rt 301 north of Jacksonville, FL and continuing on into Tampa. On the return we will reverse that, picking up Rt 15 in SC and taking that through Chapel Hill, NC and on into VA. I know nothing of these roads south of Virginia and am open to comments, warnings, alternate routes, and side trips that don’t take us too far off course.

I am going to Montreal in May, starting from St. Petersburg, taking I-4 east to Daytona, then go north up the coast, hop on the I-95 in Jacksonville then get off the I-95 near Savannah, take smaller roads to Charleston (17), then proceed through Francis Marion National Forest all the way to Myrtle Beach, then continue on to Virginia Beach, then to Richmond, and on to DC

If your up for different scenery on the way back. Up around Ocala find state road 40, it will run you through the Ocala forrest over to north of Daytona. You can take it across to A1A and run the coat up A1A to around Jacksonville, then up 95 to Savannah Ga and run the coast for awhile out there. Something like this.

+1 on the A1A route and Ocala National forest. If you would look at the map, that A1A ride is amazing. Quiet, peaceful, just all out gorgeous. Ocala has some pockets of campers, but has long stretches of smooth riding. If you hit Ocala through US 40, be sure to swing by Al and Jan's for some breakfast or lunch. Amazing hospitality , LOTS of good food and biker friendly.

Keep me posted, as I am about 45 minutes from Tampa, perhaps if time allows we can meet up. Ride safe !

Barry

If your up for different scenery on the way back. Up around Ocala find state road 40, it will run you through the Ocala forrest over to north of Daytona. You can take it across to A1A and run the coat up A1A to around Jacksonville, then up 95 to Savannah Ga and run the coast for awhile out there. Something like this.