IGNORED

Hid question

I bought a HID bi-xenon kit on ebay, and it wont light. Contacted the seller, and he said to hook it directly to the battery and see if it works. If so, it needs a harness that goes to battery. The one in my kit is self contained. (see pics). I am thinking I need use one of the wires and the ground off the bikes 3 prong head light socket. That seems to be where it gets power. or will it go :225:? Anybody with more (any) knowledge of these systems have any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by venture83_98
not sure what happened to second pic....

From your pic it looks like this HID gets it power from the original headlight circuit.

First thing to do is check your headlight fuse.

My HID pulls almost 20 amps to start, that would easily pop the 10A fuse on the bike. This is why most of the HIDs have separate power and ground wires.

Plug your old bulb back in to be sure that the bikes electrical is still working.

Take your old bulb and using an ohm meter figure out which of the 3 pins is the ground pin, it will be the one that shows a connection to both of the other pins. You can then test your HID by connecting that pin to ground and either of the other 2 pins to battery plus.

From your pic it looks like this HID gets it power from the original headlight circuit.

First thing to do is check your headlight fuse.

My HID pulls almost 20 amps to start, that would easily pop the 10A fuse on the bike. This is why most of the HIDs have separate power and ground wires.

Plug your old bulb back in to be sure that the bikes electrical is still working.

Fuse is good. Stock bulb works on hi and low

Take your old bulb and using an ohm meter figure out which of the 3 pins is the ground pin, it will be the one that shows a connection to both of the other pins. You can then test your HID by connecting that pin to ground and either of the other 2 pins to battery plus.

I checked the stock bulb. I have continuity from any one pin to the other two, on all three pins

I can hear the shield on the HID move when I apply power directly from the battery. If I switch the contacts I use sometimes I get a buzzing/hum sound. Sometimes I get nothing. I am thinking that I got a defective unit.

I bought a HID bi-xenon kit on ebay, and it wont light. Contacted the seller, and he said to hook it directly to the battery and see if it works. If so, it needs a harness that goes to battery. The one in my kit is self contained. (see pics). I am thinking I need use one of the wires and the ground off the bikes 3 prong head light socket. That seems to be where it gets power. or will it go :225:? Anybody with more (any) knowledge of these systems have any thoughts?

Thanks

The pic shows a 3 prong plug that would be plugged into the OEM bulb plug powering the HID system through the OEM headlight wiring. My HID setup came with an extra harness for a relay that plugs into the OEM headlight plug which is then wired directly to the battery. The OEM wiring then only powers the relay. This setup reduces the load running through the small wires in the headlight switch.

Something that needs to be done when installing any HID system in the Venture it to remove the RLU, Reserve Lighting Unit, otherwise it will cause the bulb to switch between Hi and Lo until the bulb wears out in about 3-6 months or so if I remember correctly.