IGNORED

Right cylinders didn't fire up.

This happened on one day only and I'm not really sure what or where to start looking for a problem. Early this past winter I started the bike and only the left side cylinders were firing. Needless to say, this bike wouldn't stay running. I shut it down and started it over and over the course of the day several times with no change.. Next day I went to work, thought about this all day as I knew I couldn't ride it on the nice days coming, and as soon as I got home tried it again... To my relief it fired on the first rotation. It has started every time since that day and has seems to start faster and stronger like when it came out of the showroom..

So with all that said, I'm not sure where to go from here. I love the fact that it hasn't occurred again, but at the same time I just started being able to use it again. Now entire time I'm supposed to be enjoying my ride, I'm wondering if i stop if it will fire up or am I going to be stranded on the side of the road...

Any ideas ??

How do you know that the right side cylinders were not firing? Did you place your hand on them to check heat while engine running?

My first thought is a carburetor malfunction due to water or dirt in the carburetors. Water will form in the fuel tank from condensation, and then collect in the carb bowl, then if one is lucky, the water will be sucked into the combustion chamber and blown out the exhaust. If you also suspect water in the fuel, begin a regimen of SEAFOAM added to a fresh tank of fuel.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling

Each Carb has a Drain hose, a #2 head screw to open drains.

Drain them one at a time.

I also suggest you Completly Drain the Tank, and Use that fuel for our lawnmower !!

New gas, and add a can of Sea-Foam or Techraline.

Drive Motorcycle !!! Maby use another can of additive on the next two tanks,

Actually just use 1/2 can of additive, per fill up.

Maby a new set of plugs is called for, I would also want to pull the plugs, and take a look at them after a couple hundred miles.

Thanks for responding!

I know the two right cylinders weren't firing because there was no heat and after running it for a bit there was fuel coming out the tail pipe. Of course the bike would barely run (and I do mean barely) when this happened. I have replaced the gas, and have treated it as well. I will drain the carbs as you have suggested.

I took the bike out for about 40miles without issue, but it just isn't sitting well with me that it did it in the first place.. Since the one and only day it hasn't worked right, it seems to be starting better than ever.. Running better than ever, and seems strong.. Only about 37,000 miles on her, so I expect her to be good. :-)

If this was a gas only issue, would it have done this throughout that day even trying to start it I'll say 10 more times without luck? I really wasn't sure what was going on and well I thought coils? or something else? The bike hadn't sat long prior to this and honestly I can't tell you now whether I had filled up prior to that or not.

I certainly just want to feel safe and content that I will make my trips to here there and everywhere and back. I ride up north in NY and without cell, and even radio reception I don't want to be stuck..

Indeed if it is/was strictly a fuel related issue, it would/could happen all day, then be gone the next. This is called a 'transitory' issue. It is well known that ethanol in the gasoline nowadays (10%) has a way of reacting to small amounts of water and dirt/rust in the fuel tank and form soft 'collections' of stuff that can block small passageways in the carburetors producing defective operation. Continued starting efforts can move the 'collections' out of the way for proper operation. One can drain the carbs and closely examine the purged fuel for evidence of contents that should not be present. One can also examine the fuel filter contents for more clues. There may be conditions developing that make the future operation of the fuel system unreliable. Best to cleanse the entire fuel system, and replace filters and even hoses that are questionable. Then resume operations with a continued regimen of SEAFOAM or other high quality fuel system cleaner additive to prevent the process from starting over again.

I've run my motorcycles for over 25 years with no failures. Can't say that about my Jeep out in the middle of nowhere.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

How long since fuel filter has been replaced ?? Maby also time for that.

Might be some crude the tank, maby good idea to drain tank, and pull out the fuel petcock, and clean the screens. I have not done this on a 2nd gen, but its fairly easy to do on the 1st gens.

I would also consider, getting to the Large , Plug , on the Ignition Unit, and pull it out, and give it a cleaning with Electrical contact cleaner.

I've had 3 Ventures two of them Gen II......My Midnight with 104,000 miles will start in cool weather on two then go to three then four. I bought it in Tenn. with 7250 miles on it and when I went to buy it it was running on three and scared the owner to death when I pointed it out and showed him the cold pipe. I ran it down the road got it hot and all was fine. Even with good plugs,gas and clean air box I still notice it. A friend I was with last night bought a great low mile 99 and was showing us the bike.....Started on two,went to three then in a few seconds four......I think it's just the nature of our great bikes and not a problem.

JerryK> I can confirm same behaviour on my bike, especially when it's really cold outside :) The Virago XV535 I had before tended to do same in cold weather (start on one, then run in two after a few seconds).

Smilerider> The carburettor float chamber drain nipples/hoses and valves (screw that closes the drain hole) are located in the space between the carbs. Depending on how small your fingers are, you may be able to reach them with or without taking a lot of things off the bike to get to them :D

Yamaha tried to make it easy and made the float chamber covers at an angle so that, at least in theory, you should be able to slide a long allen wrench in from the right/left of the bike and loosen the valve bolt until fuel starts dripping through the drain hose. Whether that will work for you (given how crammed that space is), remains to be seen.

Good luck!