IGNORED

Thanks to Prairiehammer

Snaggletooth

When I first bought my '84 there were a few things, appearance wise, that I wanted to add to the bike. I had lil idea how hard some of these were to find. I guess my tastes ran towards the "Chicken Lip" side. I've learned the trick now. Buy a newer chicken.

But I'd been looking, asking around, watching fleaBay daily and not much coming my way.

All I wanted was one of the those nice lil chrome trim chins that goes under the fairing. I'd seen the cataloge, I've seen a couple of pics on different sites but never really saw one in person. I liked it. I wanted one. Where the he{{ are they?

The ones I found were rusted way past being saved, bent, missing mounting tabs, or just close to scrap metal. Sure I heard now and then had been on fleaBya but by the time I got to it, it was either gone or the bidding had gone nuts. As much as I wanted one I have my limits.

Then there I was cruising our site and we were talking about some things that were hard to find. You know the stuff. Chrome intake grills for the fairing, side cover vents with all the louvers intact, Those nifty like chrome caps for the top corners of the fairings. The usual.

I mentioned that I had been chasing a chrome fairing trim for several years with no luck. A few minutes later I got a message from our Prairiehammer asking if I was still looking. he said he had a spare I could have if I wanted it. A spare? This is cruel. Am I being punked?

I don't remember the exact words after that but he offered it to me, didn't want any money for it. It was afterall, a spare. I was stunned. And more than pleased. Had it in my hands in a few days. Way better than most I'd seen listed. Straight, shiny and all there. It had a few very small holes drilled in it but that just set me off on where to mount some LED's.

This morning I finally got it installed. I'm not even going to get into that as I feel like a fool. Wasn't my first attempt to figure out the way to mount it.

But the reason I'm rolling on here is this small event, a simple sharing, a good turn from a member here sums up what this group is like. I'm proud to be a member here. The sharing of friendship, information, ideas and yes even parts makes one heck of bunch of guys to know.

So thanks Prairiehammer , Dingy, Bongobob, Squidley, skydoc_17 and all the rest of you for what you do here. Freebird ya got a good crowd here.

Sometimes the simple stuff makes somebodies day

Thanks to all.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Looks great there Snaggletooth! I have one of those on my '84 and I like the idea of some LED's on it. What are your planning to use? Please post photo's when you are done.

By the way, is the light on the fender an OEM product or did you use something else?

Dave

Looks great there Snaggletooth! I have one of those on my '84 and I like the idea of some LED's on it. What are your planning to use? Please post photo's when you are done.

By the way, is the light on the fender an OEM product or did you use something else?

Dave

For adding LED's I'm thinking these would work well as I already a few starter holes.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=PCB&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fbolt_specs.htm

The fender light was a fleaBay find. NOS Ventureline package. $5.00. Dual wedge bulbs so I threw in some W5 LED's. Lights up good now.

Yeah Mike, like you have never given expecting nothing in return yourself!! Great story though, and you are right, it's just what this family is all about!!

Bob, I remember a couple of your "Surprise" packages you sent had so much stuff in them I had to spread it around.