IGNORED

Light up the back lollypops?

I am trying to find lighting options for my 06 RSTD and I was thinking of lighting up the back turn signals like I did with my 03 Vstar. Last time, I just bought a set of front signals and pulled the harness out, but this time I thought I might buy these.

http://www.customdynamics.com/chrome_tie_wraps_stainless_steel_wire_loom.htm#1157_Socket_with_Pigtails

For $5 I can make my turn signals running light too. Anybody do this or is there a cheaper way?

This is what you need. Also you need to change the lenses to red in the real for TS. Leds are great if you want to do that too. Use clear lenses and the appropriate colored LEDs also. If you will do this you will also need the flasher relays that Custom Dynamics sells too in the TS flasher and Hazard Flasher. You will need too of the same and wire it by instructions. By using this you will not have to butcher any wires in you bike. All just plug and play!

http://www.customdynamics.com/tailconversion_kit.htm

Bro. That's 70 bucks. No effin way I can drop that kind of coin on a light kit. I can pick up $5 red 1157s at pep boys and light the back up for 10 bucks. I was looking for something cheaper, not something more expensive....

Bro. That's 70 bucks. No effin way I can drop that kind of coin on a light kit. I can pick up $5 red 1157s at pep boys and light the back up for 10 bucks. I was looking for something cheaper, not something more expensive....

go to a junkyard you should get it all for less than 2bucks:080402gudl_prv:

i have front signals in my garage, so i rushed outside saturday a.m. to make the gut mod just to find out that my 2000 rsv already has 1157 light blubs in the rear and no extra wires . so why do i only have turn signals and no runnig lights ???????????? :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24:

i have front signals in my garage, so i rushed outside saturday a.m. to make the gut mod just to find out that my 2000 rsv already has 1157 light blubs in the rear and no extra wires . so why do i only have turn signals and no runnig lights ???????????? :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :confused24:

The rear factory lights are a single filament type, you would have to change them over to dual filament receptacles, which is what the front ones are.

The site that Tartan posted up is a better bet, as there would be a lot of rewiring to install dual filaments. You'll want the setup on the bottom of the page item # 4710 Rear Run-Turn-Brake Controller, Splice-in Type

I plan on putting this on my bike here over the winter :happy34:

I've done it to several VStars and my buddy did it to his 99 Roadstar (my VStar had amber rears, so I had to get the clear lenses off the donor as well. My RSTD already has clears, so I'm ahead of the game), and I don't have any problem seeing his turn signals. I haven't even cracked the back of my RSTD, so I didn't know they were 1157's. I may just pull that socket and and solder something up!

You need the sockets from the front signals. On the Stars, I just pull the signals off the spare front bar and fish them through the back bar. Everything plugs back in and you have to splice one wire to the running light that powers the brake light. Takes us about 20 minutes to do it.

One wierd thing I ran into last time was the newer yamaha 1157's (at least some of them) have three nipples on the side and they are about 130 degrees apart. I had to file down the red 1157 and hang it in there by one nipple. Lasted for several thousand miles and they're still hangin tough...

I'll pull it apart in the next few days and take a look.

Here's a link to what I changed my turn signals to: http://customdynamics.com/yamaha_turn_signal_retro.htm. They're the Dynamic Clusters that contain amber LEDs in the outer ring of 24 & the remaining inner cluster of 24 are red for the running/brake lights. I had to drill a small hole in the back of the lollipops to run the wires out & then also drilled a small hole in the side of the brake light lens to connect them to the brake & tail lights. I then covered the wires with a black split loom. You probably wouldn't even see them if you didn't know they were there. Because of the low power for the LEDs, you do need to install a load equalizer. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the front turn signals with the LEDs. After I purchased the ones for the front, because of the 3 nipple design of the new Yamaha lights, I sent them back to Radiantz (http://www.radiantz.com/index.htm) along with the OEM lights & they modified them for me so they'll work. They also did this for me for my old V Star 1100 a couple years ago. Very nice company. I've also installed the Back-Off XP to flash the brake lights when I first hit the brakes & rewired my trunk wing light to only be a brake light, not a running light. I like the idea of suddenness of the extra brake light rather than just a brighter light for the brakes, especially now that my turn signal units are also run/brake lights.

I'll try to get some pictures of this when I'm through, if I can figure out how to do that.

OK. My 06 RSTD has 1156's in the back and they are another strange pin offset that I'm sure is only available from Yamaha. I'm going to replace them with 1157 sockets. I'm going to look locally before I order them of the interweb. I'm hoping I can find them in the HELP section of my local Autozone. I wish they weren't closed today...

Hope everyone is enjoying the Turkey!

Well, I replaced my sockets this weekend with a set from O'Reilly's (it was a calterm part 08542). Soldered everthing together in about 1 hour. I attached a video to show you how it looked, but the video should be a *.mov. I renamed it to a *.wmv, so it may play a little funny in yours. Total cost was about $11.