IGNORED

Carb Diaphram issue?

Ok, last fall I had an issue. The carb diaphram slide assembly were completel apart on all carbs. I pressed them back togeather as they seem to be a tight fit. Alas one quick ride today, first since presing them back togeather and apart they all came again!! Is there a sealent/glue/epoxy that I can use to bond the aluminum collar to the black plastic sleeve and in turn keep the diaphram locked/pinched between the two plastic collars??? Its gotta work in a gas rich enviroment of course.

Also would the diaphrams being all apart make the carbs overflow?? I had a fair bit of gas flood out onto the muffler and the ground when I pulled over along the road during my test ride????

Thanks

I know I have read about how to put those back together. When I did my 87 I did not have a problem with the parts coming apart. Here are some links on the diaphragms. I would PM SkyDoc and ask him.

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32121

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70432

I agree that the above Master bond EP41s-1 sounds excellent, where would I get it in a convenient size????? They list the product as 1/2 pint as the smallest?? Way to much. Of course the Canadian Tire dudes say JB Weld....would any epoxy do?

I believe the float is the issue as the fuel was running out the over flow of a left/clutch side carb....currently soaking with seafoam....we shall see if it gets un-stuck:) otherwise a carb cleaning/rebuild will be required.....not looking forward to that.

As for fuel in the crankcase???? Not sure, I guess it must have been a mis read:)

Thanks for the help and info....this site has helped me revive my oldie and of course keep the ongoing maintenance up.

Edited by af226

As for fuel in the crankcase???? Not sure, I guess it must have been a mis read:)

It's not a mis read. If fuel is dumping into the cylinder it will leak down into the crankcase. Check to see if your oil level has gone up and give a good sniff in the oil fill hole.

You're also at risk for hydro-locking. That's where there is enough fuel on top of the piston it can't rise all the way to the top on the compression stroke. If you have that condition and another cylinder fires it will do major damage.

Cool I will have to keep an eye on it the overflow. It only happened once and stopped, I think the seafoam will do the trick....as for getting the diaprams back togeather for more than a few minutes any idea on what type of epoxy to use?? Not sure about the JB Weld.....I appreicate the info.

Master bond EP41s-1, ideas where to buy in Ontario, Canada?