IGNORED

Zumo POI List?

Pilot

OK folks in order for me to make this work like it should I will need to input the GPS coordinates for your address. I don't mind using a null coordinate but I think if I'm going to do this I want to do it the best way I can and that means inputing your address coordinates and your full name.

This does two things it gives other VR members a way to find you so that they can stop by for a cup of joe and it helps me fill in the blanks. Second the program will automaticaly fill in the street, city and country and zip when I input the GPS coordinates. Coordinates save me a lot of typing and I'm a bit slow at typing.

I think the best way to do this is for everyone who wants to be in the list to send me your coordinates or your address AND your full name. You can send me this information via email at:

jbissonette@stx.rr.com

If you can't find your coordinates then send me your name and address, I need your physical address if it's different then your mailing adress.

This way we don't use a bunch of memory in this post. When I have finished, tested and checked for errors I will upload the file to this site along with direction on how to download it into your ZUMO.

Thanks for your help in this project.

Jim

I'm in - need to get it into my Garmin Nuvi thought. Should be able to get there from here based on the "converter" comments earlier.

Greg "WilCruise" Wilson

N42deg10.294' W070deg52.271'

I think all Garmin's use a gpx file, if so it will work. I may be able to convert the gpx file to other brands, I don't know yet.

i have 32 vr,s in my gps,when on the road-hit find-waypoint-neerers place-ok,then all will show up starting with the neerers to me,only have menbers that have sent me there address

the address & zip code is all i need,sume of you,that are in new additions may not show up,but when i do get to your place,i can mark it as a new waypoint

now the bad news,it mite cost you a cup,if show up,so if you want to,take a chance,pm me your address & zip code

I have attached a file of the members that did not provide their first and last names when they filled out thier information on the VR Assistance page. Please look and see if you name is on the list. If so would you send me your first and last name so that I can input you. So far I have not included anyone who did not list their first and last names.

I have the file done for the US and used a null GPS coordinate of Ragan International Airport if I didn't have your personnel coordinate and I have only received three so far.

The only thing that is holding me up from completing the file are your full names (see attachment) and your personnel GPS coordinates.

I could upload what I have it has been tested and looks good but without your coordinates it won't do you much good because everyone except 3 people now live at Ragan International Airport.

So far I can convert the file to the following extensions:

gdb (Version 2 or 3) Garmin File

gpx Garmin File

mps

dxf

qpx

To find your GPS coordinates download Google Earth.

In the Fly To field (top left hand corner of Google Earth) type in you address and click on the magnifying glass.

If it is a valid address it will go there.

After it does on the bottom of the google earth window you will see the GPS coordinates.

NOTE: mover your mouse pointer off the google earth window to read your coordinates because if you mouse is on the window the coordintes will change to where your mouse is.

I.E.

19 cedar st malone ny

should give you the following coordinates:

44 51 17.59 N

74 16 42.20 W

This is what I need email them to jbissonette@stx.rr.com along with your first and last name.

Thanks.

A few members have expressed a wish for a POI list of VR Assistance members so that they can download the list as a Point of Interest (POI) file onto their Zumo’s.

I don’t know how many members use the Zumo or if the interest is great enough to warrant the work so I will need some feedback from you first. If the interest is high then I will proceed, if not I won’t bother with it.

First let me say this will require a lot of hours to complete but I don’t mind doing it because I’m retired and it will give me something to do when the weather is bad.

Second there are no GPS coordinates in the list. Without them you will have to search the list on the Zumo by country then state or province and then city/town. To make it so that the Zumo can search for the nearest assistance automatically members would have to provide me with their GPS coordinates, this would make searching on the Zumo automatic, and automatic is always nice.

Third I don’t know how long it will take me so you may have to wait a bit for it. I expect that I should be able to get the first file ready for download in about a month. After that it won’t take much time to keep it updated. The file size should be small enough to download onto the site at first but I’m not sure of that as of this time. If the file should happen to reach the size limit I’m sure Freebird will help out with that.

So to begin with I’m asking for people to let me know as to weather or not they are interested. I will make the determination weather or not to proceed when I see if the interest will warrant the work and let you know.

Let me see if I can save you some work. Go here to batch convert addresses into latitude and longitude. It works to make POI's for the Zumo. I entered every county seat in Texas and made POIs of them. One of my looooong term goals is to visit every county seat in Texas... all 254 of them. Anyway, I used this site to give me the lat and long for all of them at once. They have a link to a page where you can do one address at a time if you want to.

The format given is (for my address):

Lat: 29.137004

Long: -98.153456

I don't remember all the steps or where I found all the info needed (field names for example), but it does work. Here are the sites I had bookmarked from doing the research and building the POI's:

http://www.zumoforums.com/

http://www.batchgeocode.com/

http://www.poi-factory.com/

http://www.gpsbabel.org/screenshots.html

Hope all that helps.

Perhaps those whom are a little leary about giving out their home coordinates , how about a meeting place nearby . Such as a gas station , DQ , Cop Shop , or conveinent store . At least get the VR members in the general vicinity , but not at your physical address if your worried about giving out specific details . Besides , it gives you a chance to hop on the scoot to go out and meet them . If they call you , you can give simple instructions to your home after you know whom that person is .

Just a thought .

BEER30

Perhaps those whom are a little leary about giving out their home coordinates , how about a meeting place nearby . Such as a gas station , DQ , Cop Shop , or conveinent store . At least get the VR members in the general vicinity , but not at your physical address if your worried about giving out specific details . Besides , it gives you a chance to hop on the scoot to go out and meet them . If they call you , you can give simple instructions to your home after you know whom that person is .

Just a thought .

BEER30

Good idea if that's what people want me to do, it's OK with me, I just need to insert a coordinate or I can't save the file, which is why I used the airport to begin with. I'm in the process of changing them to the city, state they listed on the VR Assistance page.

Guest KitCarson

I suppose this day in age it is justified to worry about giving out your address....as like the three that sat just down from my drive for about two days...phone would ring......no one would say anything.....phone would ring......saw this truck and trailer sitting down from my drive one afternoon.......phone rang again....took a walk through the field with cell phone and .45.......let them call again....had my home number forwarded to my cell phone.......caught them in the act.......Sig, put them on the road face down......cops hauled them off........cell phone records upheld my charges.....they were after my backhoe.........so I really do not worry about it....if people are up to no good......they will find a way.

My address is:

366 Sease Hill Road

Lexington, South Carolina 29073

Latitude: 33.939536

Longitude: -81.247494