IGNORED

So close, and now I got a big coolant leak

Toady I got my bike back together (minus a trailer hitch, still looking for a reasonably priced one if anyone has one) And I took it for a less than legal test trip around the block:whistling:. I was really excited because I could see the light at the end of the tunnel that is my project. But I went back outside and a pond of coolant under the bike :crying:. I had drained the old coolant, removed the radiator and replaced "hose 3" a few weeks back and all seemed OK. But I have 3-4 new leaks now. The one is coming from the area where the hose I replaced connects to the thermostat housing (plastic) this is the really bad one, I can not tell if it is leaking from the hose, or from the plastic cover or both. And then both of the rubber drain plugs on the right 2 cylinders are leaking out of the covers on to the engine covers and down. Now I have 3 questions, do I need to replace those 2 plugs or did i just properly install them or is there a trick? How tight do you make the hose clamps on the hoses? (I have them as tight as Dwight Yoakam's pants but it still seem to leak out the ends of the "Hose 3") and is there a way to seal the hoses when you put them on?

I will try to post pictures of the thermostat/hose leak tomorrow.

You can temporarily fix the freeze plugs in the sides of the cylinders with a penny. Remove the finned covers and tape a penny over the end of the plug, then replace the cover. The penny will squash the plug tighter to the cylinder. You do need to replace them soon, though. They are part number 90338-11152-00 and cost under 6 bux each. Do not run the bike with the finned covers removed. You can, and most likely will, pop the freeze plugs out if you do. I can't give you any advise on the hoses.

You can temporarily fix the freeze plugs in the sides of the cylinders with a penny. Remove the finned covers and tape a penny over the end of the plug, then replace the cover. The penny will squash the plug tighter to the cylinder. You do need to replace them soon, though. They are part number 90338-11152-00 and cost under 6 bux each. Do not run the bike with the finned covers removed. You can, and most likely will, pop the freeze plugs out if you do. I can't give you any advise on the hoses.

Thanks for that tip. When I get new parts for the other leaks I will be picking up 2 new plugs.

Did you have the thermo cover off?

If so did you replace the O-ring with a new one of the correct size?

No I never had the thermo cover off, I just had the hose that connected it to the rad off and replaced.

when i bought my saturn in sept i had a rotten hose i replaced it put new clamps on and tightened them up couple weeks later coolant light came on was low hose ended up leaking at both ends tightened them up a couple weeks later light came on again hoses leaking tightened clamps even tighter have not had leak in a couple months i would have thought they was ok after first time did not want clamp cutting the hose but i was wrong twice check your clamps

I replaced the thermostat cover and o-ring last year because the cover was warped and leaking. This year a leak started that I was sure was the fitting under the thermostat. It turned out to be the thermostat cover o-ring was simply running down and making it look like the lower fitting. I had apparently pinched the cover o-ring during assembly. The good news is that I found a very good supply of metric o-rings at Ace Hardware and a replacement cover o-ring was like $1.69 + tax. :080402gudl_prv:

• 4 months later...

I always lube the o rings with something, lately its been Superlube synthetic grease.

Also is the valve at the bottom hoses below the radiator, it can leak, mine did until I used a dremel with a nylon cup brush and then lubed that o ring, also for some applications a light spray of permatex red sealant inside the hose end will stop those pesky leaks.