IGNORED

Heading to Snyder Texas

Hummingbird

I'm going to be leaving Thursday for Snyder Texas in my truck. Mapquest has me going to Indy to St.Louis , tulsa etc.

wondering if I might be better off taking the southern route ( speaking of weather ) Louisville, Memphis, little rock etc . it'll be a few more miles but rather have miles that snow

Anybody on either of those routes those routes have local weather forcasts ?

21 hours driving is bad enough without a blizzard to contend with.

Guest tx2sturgis
I'm going to be leaving Thursday for Snyder Texas in my truck........

Anybody on either of those routes those routes have local weather forcasts ?

21 hours driving is bad enough without a blizzard to contend with.

Hmmm....well, we just had a big-ass blizzard thru this entire region, but by Thursday, most of the roads should be clearing off.

What brings you to my neck of the woods?

Guest tx2sturgis
bought a 150hp boiler in a now defunct salsa bottling plant in Snyder, going down to dis-connect it and ship it to the new owner in Florida. Probably be there 2 or 3 days

What is a 150hp boiler? I know what a boiler is, but never knew they would be rated in horsepower. :think:

BTW, if it works out, Lubbock, about an hour away, has a lot of good restaurants and a few good watering holes.

And this little place is a short drive/ride from Snyder.

http://www.rollingthunderbarandgrill.com/

http://rollingthunderbarandgrill.com/Pictures.php

Edited by tx2sturgis

What is a 150hp boiler? I know what a boiler is, but never knew they would be rated in horsepower. :think:

BTW, if it works out, Lubbock, about an hour away, has a lot of good restaurants and a few good watering holes.

And this little place is a short drive/ride from Snyder.

http://www.rollingthunderbarandgrill.com/

http://rollingthunderbarandgrill.com/Pictures.php

It's a Williams-Davis Boiler, 150 horse power pump, 14 feet long and weighs 12,700 lbs. Most people use it to steam clean their hardley :innocent-emoticon:

Really, it is a 150 hp industrial boiler

OK - so I'm here. Looks just like Ohio except there's no snow, oh and I was told that I'm in the geographic area of the largest windmill installation in the world.

It is pretty neat at night to see hundreds of red lights blinking at 1100 feet high and darned near 360 degrees - quite a site

Been having a hard time getting everything to jell - Semi from California, buyer from Venezuela and broker from Miami. I've spent more time on the phone than a teenie with unlimited texting

Guest tx2sturgis
OK - so I'm here. Looks just like Ohio except there's no snow, oh and I was told that I'm in the geographic area of the largest windmill installation in the world.

It is pretty neat at night to see hundreds of red lights blinking at 1100 feet high and darned near 360 degrees - quite a site

Been having a hard time getting everything to jell - Semi from California, buyer from Venezuela and broker from Miami. I've spent more time on the phone than a teenie with unlimited texting

It takes about an hour, to an hour and a half, to drive thru that windfarm at highway speeds...its HUGE! Its all mostly south of you, down towards Sweetwater, Roscoe, and Abilene.

All of those red obstruction lights are controlled from a central location via the internet..so most of them blink in unison. Must be quite a sight from the air at night.

I'm only 2 hours northwest of you...so if you need anything...anything at all...I'm sure I will be busy.

:rotfl:

Let us know how it goes...and good luck!

It takes about an hour, to an hour and a half, to drive thru that windfarm at highway speeds...its HUGE! Its all mostly south of you, down towards Sweetwater, Roscoe, and Abilene.

All of those red obstruction lights are controlled from a central location via the internet..so most of them blink in unison. Must be quite a sight from the air at night.

I'm only 2 hours northwest of you...so if you need anything...anything at all...I'm sure I will be busy.

:rotfl:

Let us know how it goes...and good luck!

sure wish there was something to do today - pretty much have a free day and most of tomorrow will be the same.

btw - anybody know what those little prickly thorns are called and what use could they possibly have except to aggravate :think:

I haven't been on in awhile, sorry I missed your original post. Grew up 11 miles south of Snyder, went to school there, didn't know anyone was bottling salsa there. There is a neat road that has some nice scenery, if you take 180 west of Snyder to Farm to Market road 1269 and go north through Fluvanna till you hit 84. That will take you over the Caprock in that area. Also gets you in the neighborhood of the Rolling Thunder place.

If the prickly thorns look like the picture, then they are referred to as prickly pear in that region. They do have some uses. Taught me on more than one occasion to pay attention to where I was walking or backing into. And if a drought gets really bad, ranchers burn the thorns off so the cows can eat the stuff. Old timers used to make jelly out of the pears.

I haven't been on in awhile, sorry I missed your original post. Grew up 11 miles south of Snyder, went to school there, didn't know anyone was bottling salsa there. There is a neat road that has some nice scenery, if you take 180 west of Snyder to Farm to Market road 1269 and go north through Fluvanna till you hit 84. That will take you over the Caprock in that area. Also gets you in the neighborhood of the Rolling Thunder place.

If the prickly thorns look like the picture, then they are referred to as prickly pear in that region. They do have some uses. Taught me on more than one occasion to pay attention to where I was walking or backing into. And if a drought gets really bad, ranchers burn the thorns off so the cows can eat the stuff. Old timers used to make jelly out of the pears.

The company that was bottling hasn't for several years, the bank reposessed everything and we bought 5 semi loads of the equipment at auction. The boiler is the last thing to go.

The plant is in the Snyder Industrial Park at 180 and 84 - think I'll mapquest your suggestion, it sure is no fun sitting here eating cookies.

The little thorn things are real small, brown and seem to attach to my socks and occasionally to my jeans.

Guest tx2sturgis
The company that was bottling hasn't for several years, the bank reposessed everything and we bought 5 semi loads of the equipment at auction. The boiler is the last thing to go.

The little thorn things are real small, brown and seem to attach to my socks and occasionally to my jeans.

Those are called 'cockleburs' by most of us locals...I'm not sure if thats a real name, but we all know what they are when we find them in our socks after walking across a field!

Have you taken any pics of the boiler? In place or on the truck?

I could have met you, maybe in Lubbock, last nite...I was out riding. Oh well.

Update:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

Edited by tx2sturgis

Ahoy there. Well had I seen this earlier maybe we could have had a mini meet-and-eat. I suppose if we were quick we might still meet up somewhere.

I am in Lubbock which is not too far north of you.

Those windfarms really are something, aren't they!

Those are called 'cockleburs' by most of us locals...I'm not sure if thats a real name, but we all know what they are when we find them in our socks after walking across a field!

Have you taken any pics of the boiler? In place or on the truck?

I could have met you, maybe in Lubbock, last nite...I was out riding. Oh well.

Update:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

would have been nice to put a face to a name - Monday is going to be a little hectic, gonna meet the broker and finalize shipping (not to mention him paying for it)

a couple pics - one is the make up tank and the other is the bck half of the boiler

Ahoy there. Well had I seen this earlier maybe we could have had a mini meet-and-eat. I suppose if we were quick we might still meet up somewhere.

I am in Lubbock which is not too far north of you.

Those windfarms really are something, aren't they!

I thought we had the windmill thing locked up in Ohio but when I kept seeing windmills for miles and miles along the highway my mind had been changed.