IGNORED

Tape Deck to storage Mod.....Modified

creole

Hey everyone,

I needed to split the fairing for a couple of things, one of witch was to do the tape deck to storage mod. I used the link from "the venturers" forum (many thanks to those folks over there!) Here's the link:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002003&id=386&highlight=conversion

I pretty much followed the directions given, but found that after the face was cut open (I used a dremel tool instead of knife), I couldn't retrieve items well at all because my sausage fingers barely reached 1/2 way back (to the point they show inserting the block of wood) and the lip left at the bottom in the front would be particularly difficult for me.

Instead of inserting the block of wood, I used a thin sheet of aluminum and made a new bottom for the compartment that sloped down at the back and the front of the aluminum was flush with the bottom of the opening I cut in the tape deck. The aluminum was kind of "Z" shaped and fit so that it would be wedged between the front of the compartment and the back after the lid was in place. After the bottom was put in I glued some imitation leather in the bottom and up the sides as one piece so there weren't any holes for things to fall through. This helped me retrieve items because I didn't have to deal with the lip at the front any more, but did little to help me reach things at the back with my short fingers.

So... further work led me to design a tray that slides in the compartment that has a back on it, that fits in the compartment and can be pulled forward to retrieve what's inside. I used two sheets of lamination plastic heated together to make a rigid thin piece of plastic, that I cut, folded and super glued together to form the back and sides (at the back only). I think this approach makes it more useful to me and thought someone on this forum could use the information.

That all being said.....I failed to take pictures as I went....Sorry I'm kind of bad about documenting as I go and just kind of "do things". I did try to draw an illustration to explain it all better and did snap a few of the finished compartment with the tray.

I'll try and upload them, hope it works.:fingers-crossed-emo

Creole

I gutted my tape deck a few years ago. I found some padded air conditioning material that is sticky on one side and padded on the other for the inside. I put extra eye glasses in there but be care.... anything too small and you will pay heck getting it out.

cb