IGNORED

Indian Cycles

TDbiker

I was talking to my Yamaha dealer in Louisville a few weeks ago, he's a Polaris/Victory dealer too. He said that Polaris has some pretty exciting plans for Indian, but he said in his opinion it depends on what they do in the engine department. He also thinks it needs to be a departure from what they have now. I think it definitely need to be a pushrod motor, if they stick a Vic motor in it they're dead, again. A friend of mine bought a new Chief back in '04 I think, and she had some problems with the trans, and the motor was kinda noisy. Didn't they use the Power-Plus back then?

No, the power plus came out in 2010. The 2004 was a Gilroy from California. Different company at that time.

:farmer:

No, the power plus came out in 2010. The 2004 was a Gilroy from California. Different company at that time.

It seems like they offered a choice between the SnS motor or the Bottle Cap (which I am not positive but this may be the Power Plus)..

Just went and listened to the new Indian motor here

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/introduction/pages/engine.aspx?WT.ac=IND-mini-link-header-engine

It sounds to me like a gear driven cam OHV V-twin in the 1500 cc range. From the exhaust note when they down shift I would say injected and they dont quite have all the parameters quite right - sounds lean. Also sounds like it likes rpms so it may be a square motor...

Mike Wolfe from Polaris said something about "Daytona Bike Week" that led me to believe thats where the unvailing may take place.. Sounds like another good reason to head south away from this cold!!!

I did'nt remember them being an S&S-built motor back then, but I can't remember what it was. My brother-in-law worked at a small dealership back then and I remember him saying that they had some oiling issues then too. I really like the looks of the "bottlecap" engine. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, I think Polaris will leave Indian more as a nostalgia, (high $$) line too. I just can't imagine that they'll want them to be a "competitor" for their Victory business.

I did'nt remember them being an S&S-built motor back then, but I can't remember what it was. My brother-in-law worked at a small dealership back then and I remember him saying that they had some oiling issues then too. I really like the looks of the "bottlecap" engine. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, I think Polaris will leave Indian more as a nostalgia, (high $$) line too. I just can't imagine that they'll want them to be a "competitor" for their Victory business.

The Gilroy was an S&S motor. The dealer here in Charlotte has one at his home and it is a Gilroy.

I'd like to see them succeed, but, I wouldn't buy their stock...:witch_brew:

Traders Guide have scores of Harleys for sale. The baby boomers have already: "been there, done that".

Trying to sell +20K bikes in todays economy??? Don't believe there's a large market for these types of bikes. IMHO

Hard core bike riders will always be there, But I will not fork out over $20k, even for a touring bike (unless of course I hit the lottery) :mo money:

Like I said hope they make it... :backinmyday:

I've always liked the looks of the Indian. But it would also have to offer a sweet ride, smooth shifts, low end "grunt" torque and a saddle my butt would fall in love with.

I've test rode the Victory's. Nice bike, nothing special. My Venture has smoother shifts and about the same power. Not enough to woo me away from my Venture.

I'd like to see them succeed, but, I wouldn't buy their stock...:witch_brew:

Traders Guide have scores of Harleys for sale. The baby boomers have already: "been there, done that".

Trying to sell +20K bikes in todays economy??? Don't believe there's a large market for these types of bikes. IMHO

Hard core bike riders will always be there, But I will not fork out over $20k, even for a touring bike (unless of course I hit the lottery) :mo money:

Like I said hope they make it... :backinmyday:

If there EVER has been a reality check moment it is found in your words Capt'n!! As much as I would like to I cant disagree with any of your point.

HD had to get VERY creative (all the way to the point of carrying their own debt) to create the market they have and even their sales on all but a couple models have been hurt majorly by this crisis..

We need our economy back....

It will