IGNORED

brain dead

dahgimp

:sick:hay I gess I will just jump in and ask you if anyone can help me out I have got a 87 1300 with a dead # 2 cylender no fire I thought it was a dead coil but I took the # 4 electrical conector and hooked it to the # 2 connecter and I got fire from the coil so I don't know if it is the brain or the igniter or what it could be I cleaned all other connections it"s got me stumped just call me brain dead if any ideas thanks............

You need to verify the resistance readings of the pickup coils and insure none read to chassis ground when they are disconnected from the TCI.

To some extent the TCI is repairable if it's simply the output transistor or protection diodes, otherwise you are in need of a simple replacement for the whole unit if the pickup coils check out.

Pickup coil connector is on left side near the shock damper. Pull side cover off and find a 6 pin connector that has five wires used in it. The common wire to the pickup coils is the black wire, this is the one that is next to the empty terminal. The other four wires go to each pick up coil. There will be another six pin connector in there, this one has all six pins used, it is the gear indicator output lead.

Ohm meter reading to the male pin side of connector should be 93 to 126 ohms from the common to each of the other four connectors. It seems somewhat important that they all read about the same, but I don't have any proof of this.

Then hook one side of ohm meter to a good chassis ground and check each of the connectors again, there should be infinite ohm reading to ground, not Zero ohms, this is a short.

Check this connection for dirt or corrosion. On the replacement TCI kits I sell, I include this connector, due to problems I have seen it create.

Gary

Edited by dingy