IGNORED

Lowering Links

Miles

I am not able to find a member vendor that sells the lowering links for a 2nd gen RSV/RSTD. Do we still have a member of this forum that makes and sells them? If not, do we know of a good outside vendor that makes and/or sells them?

Yes, I know that I can make these myself, but...I am wanting to look at a few options.

I am going to be lowering the front of my '06 RSMTD by 3/4", but I also want to lower the rear end too.

So, please let me know if we have lowering links available. I did find the ones from LA Choppers/Barons but they also include the new bracket to relocate the rear brake caliper, which I find to not be necessary. No need to buy a kit with that bracket, if I am not going to use it.

Thanks,

I

So, please let me know if we have lowering links available. I did find the ones from LA Choppers/Barons but they also include the new bracket to relocate the rear brake caliper, which I find to not be necessary. No need to buy a kit with that bracket, if I am not going to use it.

Thanks,

Remember that if you lower the rear more than about 3/4 inch (I believe that's the amount - if I'm wrong someone will let us know!) the caliper can hit the bottom of the fender under some circumstances. That's why the caliper bracket is usually included. If you are lowering the front as well, the caliper may hit even if you are only dropping the rear 3/4 inch. If I were ready to do the work, I'd exchange links with you as I want to get rid of the lowering kit that came on my bike when I bought it.

Andy

Miles,

On lowering the front of the RSTD,,,,

You are right about lowering the front,,, max of 3/4".

It will not go the full 1 1/2" that the Venture will go.

We tried that, put it back together and found out the handlebar hits the schrader valves, almost an inch too high.

Had to tear it back down and do again.

You can get 1/2" with no problem. But seems like to get it to 3/4", we also had to take the two big washers in each tube and modify one (enlargen the hole or grind it down-don't remember) and swap them to reverse which one was up/down. Doing that did get us the 3/4", and my schrader valves are almost touching the bars, maybe a credit card width between. (But are useable.)

I also put the Barons kit on the rear but had a local fab shop make links that were half way between the stock and Barons length. That also then put the rear down 3/4".

I found that the 1 1/2" on the rear dragged the mufflers on my RSTD and my RSV.

I would send you my stock links but I might get taller if I ever grow up. But, actually if you got a fab shop to do that, you might not need the calliper relocation bracket.

(I did use the bracket as I already had installed it.)

SO, just wanted you to know that 3/4" is the max you can get on the front of the RSTD and you may have to swap out the two washers to get that.

But, it is worth doing. It was just what I needed to get flat footed.

Mike G

PS: I think I did do a cardboard template of the three lengths (stock, mid and lowered) rear links. You may want the one in the middle.

I could measure and photo that and you could use the measurement of the center of the bolt holes if you wanted to go to a local fab shop to get a set made.

I think one shop charged me $20 for the set, another charged me $40. (I did same on my RSTD and my RSV.)

Oh and if you have a shop make them,,, make sure the dude knows to make TWO. My last guy was proud of his work, looked perfect. Then I said, "Where's the second one, I need a pair?" He looked embarrsed for a minute and said, "Can you come back tomorrow?"

Edited by Mike G in SC

MikeG, thanks for all the info. It is helpful. At this point Craig is sending me a set of links he has, and I am going to check them out. If I need to go with less...lowering...then I can make some myself.

But the tips on the front end help.

Thanks,

Miles (Merry Christmas)