IGNORED

Ontario motorcycle stats

XV1100SE

Interesting article including some accident stats.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/after-son-dies-in-crash-opp-officer-preaches-motorcycle-training-4/

Suggestion of limiting new riders to 125cc or less motorcycles is a bit extreme. I don't think you can find anything less than a 250 and event then I believe there are only 2 choices for 250's. Even what used to be common 400-500cc bikes no longer exist.

I agree that graduated licensing should include limits on engine size. Making a course mandatory is good. Around here there are courses for M1 to M2 and M2 exit.... but no advanced rider courses. Something like the OPP training or "Ride Like a Pro" would be nice and I'd take one of those if available here.

Car drivers don't see us. I like to think that my SilverStar Ultra on high beam during the day and GE H7616 passing lights make me more visible. If I see a car at an intersection where they may turn in front of me I weave a bit (which works if they are looking in my direction when I'm weaving). I make sure I have a "blocker" in front and behind me if I'm in traffic.... close enough front and back that a car wouldn't chance turning into them. If I only have a car in front of me I hang back far enough that cars approaching from the side can see me.

I think the stats on rider error, speed/braking experience come into play with stats. Surprised by the number of non-licensed riders... which probably also means no insurance. Intersections are still high in danger zones.

Always good for a reminder on riding safe. As temperatures fall car drivers don't expect us to be out. Deer and other critters are active now.... be more careful at night. Stay alert !