IGNORED

1st Gen backrest pad replacement.

I want to run this by here to see what you guys think.

The driver's backrest on my 84 is shot. Cracked & dry. I want to replace it, but of course replacements are not found. I found this reasonable alternative.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Universal-11-x8-1-2-New-Contour-Backrest-Back-Rest-Sissy-bar-Pad-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqYOKj!E5W9!lpC!BObp,IEjVw~~60_12.JPG

It's got a wooden plate backing, removable vinyl cushion cover.

3" thickness on the sides and 1 1/2" thickness on the middle

Size 11"x 8 1/2" for $32 shipped.

I see the OEM one is 11 1/2" x 6 1/2" & the support is riveted in on the back(should be easy enough to get off)

Does anyone see any potential issues that I am missing? It looks doable, & the price is cheaper that having the original recovered.

It will work !!

I made the one on mine out of a 3/4" board & some vinyl I got from an Amish boat cover guy. Some 2" foam padding.

I sewed cover myself with heavy thread from Amish guy. Has worked fine for a several of years.

Used a lower bracket from an HD road glide.

Gary

Where did you find it and how much. I'm looking to replace mine for my MKII. Looking for one in gray or black.

Brian found this on Ebay $32. shipped.

I ordered one myself. It's an inexpensive alternative to reupholstering the OEM pad.

Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230709042435?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Brian,

Definitely buy this as a replacement.

I just got the backrest pad today. Installed it in 10 minutes.

IDK if the MK2 differs from the mk1, On my OEM backrest the pad is riveted on to the support. I had to drill the rivet heads off with a 1/4 drill bit. I measured the back of the new panel & got the centerpoint. Marked the screwholes with a silver sharpie & attached the pad.

Fits like a glove.

Here's a picture.