IGNORED

The Ultimate GA-TN-NC Sunday Ride!

Bobby G

I've done parts of this route on separate rides before, but when you string them together, it is an awesome day of riding, especially with the clear, cooler weather we have now.

Left just north of Atlanta at 0700 yesterday heading north up 575/515 to Blue Ridge, then up Rt. 5 to McCaysville into TN, then up Rt. 68 to Tellico Plains where we picked up the western point of the Cherohala Skyway and took it all the way to Robbinsville NC. If you have not ridden this before, put it on your bucket list - - it's one of the best 60+ mile stretches of road you'll ever ride. Then up US129 to the Dragon, which I have to say was way too crowded to really enjoy yesterday, but it's still a fun, twistie ride. At the top of the Dragon, we took the Parkway on a long, lazy ride to US321 south, stopping at a few scenic overlook areas to just take in the amazing views and do some bald eagle watching. We jumped off 321 onto SR337, aka Lamar Alexander Parkway, for a great ride along the Little River all the way to just south of Gatlinburg. On the bummer side, we came upon an accident scene where a biker ran off the road heading in the opposite direction. Don't know their fate, but the bike (looked like a Road King) was clear down the embankment and in the water. Hope they were OK. From Gatlinburg, we headed south on US441 through the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest to Cherokee NC, then back southwest on US74 to Andrews, Murphy, then SR60 to Blue Ridge GA, then back home down I-575. 14 hours, 475 miles, multiple stops for food and sightseeing, and capped off with a hot toddy :stirthepot: and some much needed Advil!

If you are looking for the ultimate Fall leaf peeping ride down this way, this one would be hard to beat. The colors aren't fully in yet, but the next 30 days or so will be spectacular, and the long range weather forecast at least for the next few weeks is supposed to be very cooperative - - 70's during the day and chilly but not cold at night. We plan to hit all or parts of this route again before the end of October if the kids and grandkids will let us get away, along with side trips already planned for Savannah later this week and Thunder Beach (Panama City Beach) in 3 weeks.

Time to stock up on more Advil! :whistling:

You had some great weather for riding, I had to be at a wedding up in Knoxville over the weekend otherwise we would have probably been out on the bike as well with the weather so nice. However being retired now I can get out during the week and avoid the weekend crowds. :) We've traveled those roads many times, sometimes stop and visit friends in Andrews NC, otherwise we like coming on down to Franklin NC and heading back west on 64 then dropping down by Chatuge Lake to pick up 76/515/575 back to the house. Rarely do the Dragon anymore, too crowded with too many knuckle heads. Love riding the Cherohala.

Great report!

We just got back from a 4000 mile 2 week vacation out west a couple weeks ago, and have been having converasions about it being time to start planning for holiday events we host every year. But now after reading your report, I'm getting a fire in me to make a quick run out east to see the fall colors. LOL.