IGNORED

Bought a fairing need help

Guest Reno

So, I finally broke down and bought a fairing for my 2007RSTD Midnight. I got it off Ebay new for a good price. It's fiberglass and has spots for 4 speakers and a radio. I think it may be a Reckless or at least looks like one. My problem now is what brand radio and speakers should I add? What have you guys used? I know it should ne a marine one i guess. I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

I went all over the spectrum when I put mine on my 900 Kawi. First one I got was a Pyle marine grade, had aux connection, SD card slot and marine band weather radio. Was a tad to long to fit in the slot so I had to file just a little off the fins of the heat sink. About 200 miles in something broke loose inside radio and because I trimmed the heat sink-No warranty So next up was a rugged type listed as for ATV and the like from Wally world. It was a round $100 so about 1/2 price of the Pyle. It lasted a week and went back because it quit. Belive it or not the best and longest working radio I used and it was on the bike when I sold it was a $30-40 dollar small credit card sized unit off e-bay. I added a 10w amp because I thought I neede it to drive the speakers. Something like this radio and this type AMP. You can get these amps if you look around that have a slot for an SD card for MP3's I made a block off plate for the radio slot and mounted the items in that where a car radio would go. If you go with a standard type car radio most folks I talked to recomended a weather type cover. I have a brand new one I can sell you if you go that direction. This set up will allow you to have radio and an aux input for an MP3 or GPS, phone whatever. Also the radio has an aux output you can plug a pair of ear buds into. This came in handy on my 900 as at highway speeds they were required to hear anything besides noise. I finnaly just ran a wire to plug in headphones (ear buds) from the back of the speakers to by the seat to make it easier. :080402gudl_prv:

So, I finally broke down and bought a fairing for my 2007RSTD Midnight. I got it off Ebay new for a good price. It's fiberglass and has spots for 4 speakers and a radio. I think it may be a Reckless or at least looks like one. My problem now is what brand radio and speakers should I add? What have you guys used? I know it should ne a marine one i guess. I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

I have a Jensen Marine radio and it has worked well for me. I also added a Sirius tunner to it and I love it. Your fairing could be the same as mine, a Wide Open Custom.

Mine was a Harley Road Glide model. Where my radio went and where yours goes may be totaly different. At the time thats all they had that would work for me. As you can see the handle bars and the radio were not a good fit. Was an interfearence deal but it worked OK with the little radio deal. First pic is the car radio, the second is the small radio and amp mounted in a cover plate I made, then covered in mylar.

My first pic you can see the "car" radio. It had a CD player too, but you can see the risers I had on the bike no way your getting a CD in the unit. The more I thought about it one CD at a time wasnt going to be worth it anyways. I later put a windshiled bag on and it gave me a place to put the MP 3 player while hooked up. Although it did make it harder to adjust the radio etc.

Thanks for the tips. I should be recieving the fairing Friday. I looked into Pyle stereo set ups but I read lots of bad reviews about them. I think alot of fairing makers use Jensen. I think I want a package with remote and an amp. Is an amp necessary?

The Jensen has a CD player but it skips to much on the road. It is Sirius ready and has a jack for a Ipod I mounted my tunner in the sadlebag and routed the cables through a hole in the bottom that I drilled then added a rubber gromet. I used velcro to mount it. Doesn't take up a lot of room and works great. If I get into the mountains I will lose the signal sometimes but I have an Ipod shuffle that I can use.

The Pyle I bought had a remote, I was going to build a bracket so I could mount it sort of like the RSV is. Even if you get a radio that has a wireless remote you could mount a tab of velcro say in the center of the tank sort of, someplace easy to access and then you dont have to fumble with small buttons on radio. Then when you stop just toss in saddle bag or something.

Was the Pyle a good unit? Sounds kinda hit and miss with those units. They do have a set up I like with the remote, amp and 4 speakers for a very good price. It also has an aux input for mp3 players and I pods. May get that and take my chances. Once it's in it would be a pain on the butt if it broke or something. I onlypaid $250 + shipping for the fairing and dont want to have $500 in the stereo.

They are relativly reliable. Like I said I shot myself in the foot when I filed the edge of the heat sink off to make it fit. I also think I had more vibration in my mounting that you will have. I ended up having to make a support bracket off the handlebars to keep shake out of it. The radio aint that hard to mount really, I use to take my fairing apart all the time. There is only like 4 screws in it holding it together. I dont think you need an amp if using a standard type car radio. Mine was a Pyle model PLCD15MR. It is a pretty heavy radio now that I go out and pick it up, it had a remote I was going to put on the handlebars too. Might be why I had what seemed like alot of vibration in fairing is the weight. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Kenwood-AM-FM-MP3-WMA-CD-receiver-with-remote-control-and-lighted-front-axillary-port/_/N-2628?itemIdentifier=272432_0_0_. http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/kwd/KDC-148/image/4/

If you search around on e-bay you can find some decent deals. I would say 25w per channel, maybe as low as 15w if it has 4 channels 2 front 2 rear so you split your 4 speakers into lefts and rights. Part of the problem is the mounting. They all pretty much mount DIN style. Slide in and you bend little tabs over to hold in place. Works OK in a car, but not so good on a bike where you have alot of vibration. Most times you can make a bracket and attach to back of radio and mount it to the back side of fairing to help support. Look at this one. It is a shaft style mount like old days and has SD card and usb input. I would prefer an aux jack but thats me. Heres another with a clock in display, thats allways handy.

Thanks, you have been alot of help. I think I will go for a marine or waterproof set up. I stopped at Best Buy today. I was surprised they had none in stock or on display. Water proof speakers either to hear. They showed me a few online. I kinda liked the Kenwood marine ones. One was $135, speakers were made by Polk and were waterproof at a price of $74 per pair.( need 4). So looking at about $288 + tax

Must be other complete kits out there. The Pyle is still is calling my name.