IGNORED

approved helmet

silvercrew

Guest BluesLover

Dwight - I believe we need to wear helmets that comply to DOT standards (at least we do here in Ontario). Laws may be different from province to province, but I don't believe there's any difference between provinces.

Where to get them? Any local stealer, any of the motorcycle shows ...

Cheers,

Not meaning to start a big debate here, but this may be of interest to some of you...

DOT can not ...and never has... approved anything.....check it out..:whistling:

http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/notapproved.html

I agree with Eck. For I think 35¢ the manufacture gets a sticker they can paste on the helmet. It's up to the manufacturers to build a helmet that meets the requirements. Sorta like letting the fox loose in the hen house... One of these days a sharpie ambulance chasing lawyer is going to pick up on this and take a couple of manufacturers to court on liability/fraud issues. Until that happens things ain't gonna change. :stirthepot:

DOT doesn't "approve" helmets. They establish a standard; it's up to the manufacturers to prove their helmets meet the standard. They do this by hiring a testing lab to demonstrate their helmets crash worthiness. Snell is a little different; they actually test helmets, to a tougher standard than DOT. Some discussion about whether the standards actually are much different in terms of reducing the acceleration your brains receive (G's on impact), but both are a good start.

Your state/province will set the requirements for acceptable helmets. Some states just require "helmets"; the toy helmets you see will work. Others require DOT; most helmets sold meet this. I don't think any place requires Snell. If you get a helmet that meets one or both of these standards, you'll meet anything required in North America. I believe Europe has their own standard.

I like full face helmets, but I'm currently wearing an old Nolan modular (flip front). Some day I'll dig out the helmet I was wearing when run over by a van and post photos. It shows that the half helmets and 3/4 helmets don't cover everything you might want to keep.

Guest BluesLover

It looks like I may have stirred up a hornet's nest by using the words "DOT approved" in my post ... should have simply said "helmets that meet the DOT standard". I'll edit it.

Cheers,