IGNORED

running it without lowers?

Is this true on a RSTD? They will run poor with the lowers removed...affects air intake flow....and they will bog at speed. I took the lowers off to check the cruise control and did a cable adjustment. I took it for a ride to test it without the lowers and it runs like crap! It Bogs down. It will idle fine and run gread at full throttle but bogs in mid range. Could running without lowers cause this?

Mark

Put the Lower back on. I had same issue when working on cruise. Went for a test ride wothout the left lower and had the issue you desribe. Thought I had screwed something up. WAY too much airflow and that leans it way out and it starves itself at speed.

Is this true on a RSTD? They will run poor with the lowers removed...affects air intake flow....and they will bog at speed. I took the lowers off to check the cruise control and did a cable adjustment. I took it for a ride to test it without the lowers and it runs like crap! It Bogs down. It will idle fine and run gread at full throttle but bogs in mid range. Could running without lowers cause this?

Mark

The air duct work on these bikes is designed to work under certain conditions. If you start ramming air in it may affect it. I know a simple partial blocking of one intake will make it run like crap. Only way is to try it.

But what are you going to do with all the wires and relays in the lowers ?

Well after all day of p$&&ing around I got on VR and found out that you can not ride without the lowers installed...it REALLY runs bad without them!!

I had my doubts about what I read in the post but I was getting desperate. I put the lowers back on and went for a ride. It ran perfect. I was so happy that it was running good again that the test ride lasted 105 miles.:dancefool:

VR saves the day AGAIN!...It's all good now.:thumbsup2:

Put the Lower back on. I had same issue when working on cruise. Went for a test ride wothout the left lower and had the issue you desribe. Thought I had screwed something up. WAY too much airflow and that leans it way out and it starves itself at speed.

"Thought I had screwed something up."

Me too!

It's hard to believe that the lowers would make that much difference. I think I would have put money on it that it woudn't work...I would have lost the bet but it would have been worth it!

I learn something new on this site every day I log on. :bowdown:

The air duct work on these bikes is designed to work under certain conditions. If you start ramming air in it may affect it. I know a simple partial blocking of one intake will make it run like crap. Only way is to try it.

But what are you going to do with all the wires and relays in the lowers ?

I took the lowers off to check the cruise control and do the cable adjustment on it. I also had the tank and seat off to clean the air intake box and tighten the clamps.

I took it for a test ride it without the lowers. I just wanted to be sure it (cruise) was working ok...and after most of the day of :bang head: I got on VR and the problem was solved. I love this place!!