IGNORED

Moving passenger headset Plug-in

How involved is moving the passenger headset plug-in? I have read else where that some have moved the plug to the back of the drivers backrest. I was wondering how invovled that is. Does the trunk need to be pulled for this, and do you need additional cable? Just looking to place the plug in a more convient location for the passenger so they can plug in when already mounted on the bike.

Thanks in advance

SlimJim

04' white RSV

Piece of cake.

You will need to take the seats off so you can run the extension cable under the passenger's seat. I have a backrest on mine, and just ran the cable up to post to the backrest, and it's tucked in behind the utility pouch that attaches to the back of the backrest.

You can purchase an extension audio cable from the places that sell that sort of stuff for about $45. Or, do what I did and get an extension cable for computers for about $5.

Works great and is much easier for the wife to use.

I got a 5 pin DINN cable. I can't remember where, either Wal-Mart, Office Max, or someplace like that. The shortest I could find was 6', so I had to wrap it around under the passenger seat, but tucked neatly away. Just remove the connector from the side of the fender and direct it underneath the passenger seat. Then plug in the extension, and route the extension up to the location you want. Make sure you don't damage the cable when you install the seat-check for clearance. To make sure everything was good and tight I wrapped some rubber tape around the two connectors for a water tight seal. I like to use the type of tape that does not have glue on it. It is a cold vulcanizing type and sticks to itself real well when you stretch it a bit and wrap it together.

What type of extension cable for a computer did you get, and where did you get it? If I take my headset lower cable in will I be able to get an extension?

Thanks for the help

SlimJim

It looks like the old style keyboard plug. From an earlier computer such as a 386 or 486

Another locaten you might want to consider is the armrest. Here is a picture of where Phil relocated my headset. I love having it where it's at now. It is convient to plug and unplug, easy to reach, and the cord no longer is always pulling like it was in the original location. With this set up, Phil did not have to extend the length of the cable.

Another locaten you might want to consider is the armrest. Here is a picture of where Phil relocated my headset. I love having it where it's at now. It is convient to plug and unplug, easy to reach, and the cord no longer is always pulling like it was in the original location. With this set up, Phil did not have to extend the length of the cable.

Can you provide some more pics? I would like to see what it looks from the other side also. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. What did you use to mount the holder on the armrest?

My son and wife both have to hook up before they get on because they can't ever seem to find the connector once seated on the bike.

Brian, sorry if I made more work for you (acutally it is quite easy to do). But Rosebud's solution looks even easier to accomplish. Either way, your passenger will love the convenience.

Vance, I showed my wife both scenarios and she is still liking your setup better because she says she can easily hookup after she is situated on the bike. Moving it to the grab bar would be easier for me to modify but she says she'd still have to fumble to find the plug especially when we are bundled up for cold weather riding. If I can find the 5 pin DINN plug, I'll try it your way. If not, I'll go the grab handle route like 01 RIDER suggested. At any rate, everyone who donates ideas to these forums surely are helpful.

Brian

They have them on Ebay for like $9 new and $6 used including shipping.

But I'm going to check with the computer geeks I know around here to see if they have an old used one I can get for free.

Where did you find them on ebay? I am not having any luck finding them there.

All you need is a 5 Pin DIN male-to-5 Pin DIN female 6 foot extension cable commonly used with a KeyAT or a KeyLT to extend the cable length to the computer. Do a search online and you will come up with them hear is one link I picked the 6 pin by mistake the first time:

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=ac&subcat=adi

Here is another link for a 6' cable for $3.

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=328

All you need is a 5 Pin DIN male-to-5 Pin DIN female 6 foot extension cable commonly used with a KeyAT or a KeyLT to extend the cable length to the computer. Do a search online and you will come up with them hear is one link I picked the 6 pin by mistake the first time:

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=ac&subcat=adi

Thanks, found some that will work at these links.

Nathan - you wanted a couple more pictures of where my passenger headset plug-in was relocated. It's attached with a product called goop, if you ever get the pleasure of meeting up with wild hair39 - he swears by the stuff. BTW - the white line in pic 3 on the plug-in is a marker to match up the 2 connections easily.

Can you provide some more pics? I would like to see what it looks from the other side also. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. What did you use to mount the holder on the armrest?

My son and wife both have to hook up before they get on because they can't ever seem to find the connector once seated on the bike.