IGNORED

Anybody know which year cmu's fit an '85?

Hi- looking for a cmu for the 85vr. I can't locate a reason why 3, sometimes 4 warning lights are on as well as the red warning light, so I am down to shotgunning it. Ordered a fuseblock kit from skydoc, and I'd like to locate a cmu in the meantime. I "think" 84-86 will fit but I'm not sure and hate to buy an incompatable one. (if I can even find one). Thanks!

Kevin

Can you post a picture of what you have?

Do you have a cruise control light in the tach?

Is clock at bottom or top of CMU?

I think all the ones with the clock at the bottom are interchangeable and all the ones with clock at top are interchangeable. But they will not swap from a top clock to a bottom clock or other way, without MAJOR wiring changes.

It's not so much the clocks, that's just a way of distinguishing between the 2 styles.

Gary

the 85 has the cruise light in the tach and the clock at the bottom like the 86 and up, but I am not sure if they are exactly the same as the 86up.

I have one from an 86 but havnt tried it, so I cant say for sure. I can loan it to you if you need it to diagnose something.

Brian

Thanks for the input. I did resolder the inputs on the board, as well as check operations of displayed error circuits. It has the tach cruise light and clock on bottom. Only thing i cant find to check is the oil level wire. Oil is one of the lcd's that won't clear, as well as kickstand, brakes and headlight.

Thanks for the input. I did resolder the inputs on the board, as well as check operations of displayed error circuits. It has the tach cruise light and clock on bottom. Only thing i cant find to check is the oil level wire. Oil is one of the lcd's that won't clear, as well as kickstand, brakes and headlight.

The oil light is oil level...that connector is hard to get to, on the left rear side of the engine. Sounds like you have disconnected wires ...how long has this been happening?

Thanks Jason been really busy, trying to get to the bike but it keeps taking back seat to everything else in life lately. Been about 5 weeks, and I haven't ridden it but once since. Afraid to because I can't trust what I'm seeing, especuially if oil pressure does die. Will look for that oil connector.

I found an entire dash unit from an 87 xvz1300 that looks exactly the same. plugs and all, and even has almost the same mileage.

Anyone know for sure if this will work? Mine is an 85 xvz1200tdk. It's $150 but its the entire dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-YAMAHA-XVZ1300D-XVZ13D-XVZ1300-VENTURE-ROYALE-SPEEDOMETER-GAUGE-CLOCKS-/380458409564?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5895169e5c

Thanks Jason been really busy, trying to get to the bike but it keeps taking back seat to everything else in life lately. Been about 5 weeks, and I haven't ridden it but once since. Afraid to because I can't trust what I'm seeing, especuially if oil pressure does die. Will look for that oil connector.

I found an entire dash unit from an 87 xvz1300 that looks exactly the same. plugs and all, and even has almost the same mileage.

Anyone know for sure if this will work? Mine is an 85 xvz1200tdk. It's $150 but its the entire dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-YAMAHA-XVZ1300D-XVZ13D-XVZ1300-VENTURE-ROYALE-SPEEDOMETER-GAUGE-CLOCKS-/380458409564?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5895169e5c

The CMU will work just fine, but the wiring of the other two pigtail connectors on the dash will be slightly different due to your having the cruise indicator in the Tach.

The one you linked to uses a different type of indicator setup for the cruise system.

Gary

Oh ok thx a bunch, dingy. Thats still the best price I can find on a cmu, and the other is in Canada with expensive shipping.

Located the oil sending unit. Wiring from it looks ok- cleaned more connectors with contact cleaner. No change.