IGNORED

pressure in crank case

kwisor

hello all after i put the carbs on from pinwell my stator caskit started leaking so bad i had to replace it when i put oil back in and ran it for a minite or so to ck the oil leavel when i opened the oil filler screw air pressure released i have never seen that before i cked the carnk case beather hose to see if kinked did not see any and now my valve cover gaskit is leaking so bad i sill can not ride it the dealer just adj the valves so gong back to them to fix leak and put on a stator gaskit it is sill leaking also is that normal

bumble bee

1999 rsv

The crank case breather sounds like it's plugged somehow but there still shouldn't be "much" airflow when you pull the filler plug. Excess talks about bad rings somewhere and excessive blowby.

Pull the breather hose and see if you get air out when running... if you do and it's a fair amount... it's time to do some real diagnostics (compression test).

hello all after i put the carbs on from pinwell my stator caskit started leaking so bad i had to replace it when i put oil back in and ran it for a minite or so to ck the oil leavel when i opened the oil filler screw air pressure released i have never seen that before i cked the carnk case beather hose to see if kinked did not see any and now my valve cover gaskit is leaking so bad i sill can not ride it the dealer just adj the valves so gong back to them to fix leak and put on a stator gaskit it is sill leaking also is that normal

bumble bee

1999 rsv

The fact that you got the big oil leak immediately after you changed the carbs is almost certain proof that you did something to block the breather hose that connects between the top air boxes. And when you say there are now other gaskets leaking, and you had pressure inside the case when you opened the filler cap, that just reinforces my belief that the first oil leak was NOT coincidence.

And NO, this is not a common thing with the Venture. In fact, I have never heard of it happening.

An engine should never have any pressure inside it - never never never NEVER. All crankcases must be vented, one way or other. Without a vent, just the act of the pistons pumping up and down would rob power and blow out gaskets. Long ago, the vent was just an open hose hanging down towards the road, but for the last 50 years they all have had some form of PVC valve venting into the intake tract to allow the oil fumes and blow-by gasses to be sucked through the combustion chambers and burned.

Goose

no i was removing the filler cap to add oil after i ran it and the level went down to fill the filter to top it off i am going to remove the tank again to ck the vent hose to see if i missed a kink i didnt see one last time i looked

bumble bee

You have something plugged!!!! You turned the engine off, and then pulled the oil fill cap and had pressure?? The only way that could be is if you have the crankcase vent completely plugged. Hopefully the high pressure didn't blow the gaskets completely out!!

I'm with Goose on this one. Somehow the crankcase breather has been kinked. It runs from the top of the 'twinkie' in the valley of the V to the base of the air cleaner box. It's a real challenge for those of us with big hands to get in there and hook it up properly. The hose itself has a dog leg in it, and it's needed to snake through the carb linkage. A regular replacement hose won't work as it will kink when it's bent causing the blockage...

hello all

i found the kink in the breather hose took it for a trst ride going aout 85 on iterstate and no more oil leaks i will keep a i on it but looks good at this time ashville rally here i come

bumble bee