IGNORED

Hot weather riding article from IBA

Owen

I was wondering about the underarmour type stuff. I completed a 1100 mile stint from Cincinatti to central fla in 2 days. The temps where pretty high. It was July 1st weekend. I got so hot I just had to stop and I knew I was hotter than @#% but no sweat on my shirt. I filled up my now empty water bottle and bought a coold one at a station. I kept wetting my shirt but it seemed to dry out pretty dang fast. So I wasnt sure it this is the route I sould go or maybe the old cotton T-shirt is better as it stays wet.

I've seen those ads for the wicking type of undergarments and wondered how they worked. We did a four day ride down the Natchez Trace about two months ago. The daily temps went up to the very hight 90's and even into the 100 degrees and over range. As each day went on my butt became more and more uncomfortable. Now I understand what "monkey butt" is. I think I'll try a pair of the riding ungarments and give them a test.

I have tried two different brands of wicking base layer gear. Under Armour and Heat Out (cycle gear).

Under Armour is a little heavier material. It was a bit pricey from Academy. It worked well for cooling. It held added moisture pretty well when I wet it with water. There was some butt discomfort from sitting on the seams after about 8 hours.

Heat Out gear was 1/2 the price of the Under Armour. It is of a lighter material but also less durable. The cooling was very good and better than Under Armour. It did not hold added moisture as well as the Under Armour and had to be wetted more often. There was no discomfort from sitting on seams even after 16+ hours and 1100+ miles in very hot temps.

I have not tried the LD Comfort gear yet. :mo money:

YMMV

I do really well in 90+ temps wearing a roomy armored textile jacket that allows air to circulate into the arms and out the back thru zippered vents, plus a http://coolwingrider.com/ and a cooler full of GatorAid to hydrate every time I pull into a rest stop or fuel up. Matter of fact I wear the jacket in cool weather too. Just zip up the vents and the trapped air keeps me fairly warm in temps down into the low 40's, and it's loose enough to layer on a sweat shirt with room to spare..... I really like this jacket.... http://www.power-trip.com/ for those who might be interested.... :confused07:

I'll give a BIG thumbs up to the Phase Change Material vests for keeping cool in the saddle. I have the hi-vis reflective model from www.coolvest.com (sells for $199, non-reflective available for $179). I picked it up at Wing-Ding a couple of years ago and use it all the time when riding in temps 90 and above. It kept me comfortable in 100+ temperatures out in Indiana over the July 4th week. I also use it when I'm running Motorcycle Safety Foundation class range days out on the hot parking lot for 5 hours (recharging in a cooler of ice & water during the breaks). I could go on about this product, but I'll spare you.

Also, note that I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer.