IGNORED

Hello Texans

yamahamer

I NOTICED THAT THERE ARE ALMOST 300 MEMBERS IN TEXAS AND I HAVE A JOB OFFER IN EAST HOUSTON THAT I AM THINKING VERY HARD ABOUT. MY OUESTION IS WHAT IS IT LIKE $$$$ WISE NORTH, EAST, OR SOUTH OF HOUSTON LAND WISE. I'M LOOKING FOR CONTRY LIFE WITH MIN. 4 ACRES MAYBE WITH SMALL HOUSE OR MOBILE HOME ON 40 TO 50 MILES OUT. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. I THINK I WOULD LIKE TEXAS....LONG RIDEING SESON AND BIG DEER...THAT COVERS MY HOBBIES.:cool10:

There is a housing boom all directions from Houston.

For my money, I would look in the Montgomery / Conroe area North of Houston about 40 - 50 miles. Land prices are as reasonable as they're gonna be in this part of the state and the landscape is rolling hills. South of here is flat land.

Beautiful riding conditions pretty much all year.

G' luck

Look North / Northwest, best bet is get out of harris County, and to check School and Property Taxes... Montgomery and Harris is pretty high, I live in Waller County, Taxes are high but not as high as some others, you can still pick up land for 5k to 10k acre, depending on what you are looking for.. Good luck and I think you will like it..

Guest tx2sturgis

Hard to imagine why people want to live in an area where all major roads leaving town are labeled Hurricane Evacuation Route.

The interstates and other major roads are built so that they can be changed into giant 6 or 8 (or more) lane out-bound-only highways...called Evacuation Contra-Flow....hurricanes, the heat, the humidity, and all the friggin traffic....no thanks!

If your buying, better have a sack full of money to pay admission price for all that fun...I guess 6 million people cant be wrong.

:whistling:

Look North / Northwest, best bet is get out of harris County, and to check School and Property Taxes... Montgomery and Harris is pretty high, I live in Waller County, Taxes are high but not as high as some others, you can still pick up land for 5k to 10k acre, depending on what you are looking for.. Good luck and I think you will like it..

I AGREE, THIS IS ALSO SOME OF THE "DRYER" LAND YOU WILL FIND.

10 YRS AGO MONTGOMERY COUNTY WAS THE 14TH FASTEST GROWING COUNTY IN THE US.

AND THE RIDING NORTH AND NORTHWEST OF HOUSTON IS THE BEST.

A job is why I came to Texas 22 years ago. I have not looked back. No income tax, great economy, and reasonable housing prices. I don't know much about Houston except they have great hospitals there and it is the only place I have been with Vietnamese language radio stations to compliment the 5 or 6 spanish language stations. Best of luck. Hope you can deal with the humidity. That is the hardest part for me.

Humidity is unreal there,lived there 18 years but that is where the money is at for alot of folks. Another plus though is go west for riding and you are in the hill country in about 2.5 hours.Enough members over here also to spend the weekend with to enjoy the great riding we have over here also! Give a call somtme if you get this way,plenty of room and in the heart of GREAT riding. Tom

Right now, everywhere around Houston is growing like a bad weed. I work in construction, and we have jobs all around the Houston metroplex which extends basiclly from Conroe on the north to Galveston on the south, and from Sealy on the west to east of Baytown on the east. As said before, the best riding is on the west and northwest side of Houston.

For big deer, you have to go to south Texas. The whitetails north of an east/west line going thru Corpus Christi are on the small side.

The humidity can be a bear during the summer, but as you said, year round riding can make up for the summer months. Usually Dec., Jan., and Feb. can be real wet and cold but can still ride on the good days.

Hope this helps, it can be a nice place to live and work. If you get down this way give me a call, no. is in my profile.

Don H.

Guest tx2sturgis
Right now, everywhere around Houston is growing like a bad weed. ......................

The humidity can be a bear during the summer, but as you said, year round riding can make up for the summer months. Usually Dec., Jan., and Feb. can be real wet and cold but can still ride on the good days.

Hope this helps, it can be a nice place to live and work.

Don H.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv_construction/i10beltway8-west/Beltway8Zoom_latest.jpg?16850

Oh yeah....GREAT place to live and work...and spend half your free hours dealing with huge traffic problems...well...thankfully, youve got some HOV lanes you can use when riding the bike....

:stirthepot:

Yeah, tell me about the traffic. I get to drive every morning from the far west side of Houston to the far east side and do the opposite in the evening, 112 mile round trip. Total time approx. 3 hrs. Have rode the HOV lanes also, but can't do that in the truck unless there are 2 or more people in the truck.

All of our jobs are around the metroplex so any job I go to will be a long drive. Just don't have any on the west side of town right now.:mad::mad:

Don H.

Texas: no Kudzoo vines and if you look around you can find a few places that serve "sweet tea" just as good as in Alabama!

(pssssst: the best riding starts just NW of Houston in the Brenham area!)

houston, is only 130 miles north, east of me, south padre island, is about 90 miles south of me. hill country is 150 miles north west of me.

"brush country". is about 180 miles south west of me.

long commute, but there is a LOT of work going on around here, right now.

BUT, they have "THE WORLDS BEST ICE CREAM, " in brenham!

just jt

Guest sargeb13

I agree that Conroe/The Woodlands area, North of Houston, is best bet, followed by communities to the West (Sugarland, ect.). Commute is simply AWFUL from anywhere into and out of Houston during regular rush hours, but not too bad if you go in early (like, 7 a.m.) or leave late (after 7 p.m. or so). Lots of rain showers in Houston year round, off the Gulf, drainage backs up and blocks freeways. Personally, I couldn't bear the traffic; but, that goes for any metro area these days, neh? If you have kids in school, do some very serious investigation of the schools anywhere you go in Texas, as quality of public schools varies enormously, even within districts.

With modest riding gear, you can ride near year-long just about anywhere in Texas.

Guest tx2sturgis

With modest riding gear, you can ride near year-long just about anywhere in Texas.

I spend the better part of several posts educating the clueless on here about Texas weather, and you go and blow it all away in one simple, but misleading statement.

Bad Sarge.

Wanna ride your scoot up here to the panhandle sometime in the dead of winter? As I write this its 20 degrees, expected to hit around 18 tonite, and 16 tomorrow night. Daytime highs this week are around 35...

Not sayin its like this all winter, but there are a couple of months where you dont do a whole lot of riding. A few years ago, we had a 22" snowfall just north of me. A few weeks ago, we had several inches of snow.

Like I said before, winter weather wise, there are two distinct areas of Texas, the balmy south, and the frosty panhandle. Its easy to forget the difference.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!! I KNOW NOW WHERE TO LOOK I MIGHT HAVE FOUND A PLACE IN CONROE ON THE WEB I'M WAITING FOR MORE PICTURES TO BE SENT. I TOLD MY WIFE IT'S NOT LIKE WE WOULD BE MOVEING TO A TOWN WITH NO FRIENDS........WITH A CLUB LIKE THIS WE HAVE FRIENDS AROUND THE WORLD! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON IF I TAKE THE JOB.:bighug: